VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

multiple symptoms

Rate this question

SPO

Question

So if I am given service connection for a lower back condition that also causes sciatic pain, which is noted in my medical records (not actually sciatica by definition).  Is the VA supposed to give rating for each symptom, or just the main claimed condition (lower back pain)?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

"Lower back condition" is kind of "general".  While I think that is a good idea to apply for, if your doctor diagnoses you with, say "degenerative arthritis between C3 and C6", then VA will rate you on that, provided that, of course you have all 3 Caluza elements documented.  

If it were my claim, I would also, if, apply for "Sciatia primary and secondary to the lower back condition."  

Maybe this explanation will help.  

To get SC you have to have a current diagnosis WITH symptoms.  If you have no syptoms then you wont get SC or, if you did it would be 0 percent.  

A "bad back" can cause many other muscle or nerve problems.  

To get secondary SC:

1.  You have to get the back service connected.

2.  Your doctor has to state that your (sciatica) is at least as likely as not caused by your sc conditon.  Of course, you also would need a diagnosis of both conditions by a doctor.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes the VA will proactively consider any secondary disabilities, but it seems most of the time they only care about the items you specifically request (i.e. SC for your back). You can file a claim for your back and proactively request SC for any secondary disabilities it causes. If you are already SC for your back, you can request SC for any secondary disabilities. Typical secondary disabilities include nerve issues like sciatica, other joints, gastrointestinal issues caused by the meds used to treat your back (usually NSAIDs), mental health (usually depression due to the pain and lower quality of life), and even ED (some pain and MH meds can negatively impact intimacy).