VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VSO or ATTORNEY?

Rate this question

VIETNAMVETFAM

Question

In reference to the hospital records. If you can find out the hospital name, you can ask VA to request the records or you can contact the hospital and ask them where do they send their old records.

Years ago I filed a claim for aggravated condition because I fractured my ankle prior to military service and the VA said I never had a fractured ankle.  I contacted the hospital where I was treated and they found the records and sent them to me.  It was at least 20-25 years but the records were found. 

When did he get this denial?

I don't see the evidence list but the VA did indicate they did not reveal any service nexus regarding the schizophrenia.

Whether VA put the SMRs on the Evidence or not , they might have simply breezed through them.. He can request his SMRs via NARA again - but they might still be at the VARO , if you have filed a timely NOD.

Years ago I requested my dead husband;s SMRs and 201 Personnel file, from the USMC and from the US Navy.

I got all of  the Navy records a few months later but the letter with them said his USMC SMRs were at the Buffalo RO (where they were supposed to be as I had accrued claims in progress there.)

NARA     https://www.archives.gov/veterans

They ( the SMRs) would be critical to this claim.

Does he recall any MH issues that were documented in his SMRs by any medical person while he was in service? or put on his Discharge Certificate?

If you can prove rvn combat service (combat medals, orders, etc) PTSD is presumed, at least for the purposes of exams. That gets rid of having to prove element 2 (evidence in record of in service event). JSRRC can research for proof of stressor unless you already have that. I know you are claiming schizophrenia, but had heever had a workup for  PTSD? Could he  have been misdiagnosed? Just throwing that out there....

He was awarded the Bronze Star.. It isn't in his records.  I sent it in with him claim..  The VSO said not to go the PTSD route, because he would have to talk about the service.  He doesn't do that.  He has been heavily medicated since 1980.  He had PTSD for years before his Schizophrenic diagnosis.  My father mentions all this in his records from the hospital in 1980.  Thank you all for your help...  I feel so confused..

It's pretty straightforward but if you don't have strs for trying to show schizophrenia then PTSD might be his only shot. So yeah, he'll at least have to write it down if the need a 21-0781, but with a bronze star he shouldn't.

Edited by brokensoldier244th