VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VSO or ATTORNEY?

Rate this question

VIETNAMVETFAM

Question

Thank you so much for all the help..  I will get right on the VSO and sending for the files.  I know the answers are in there.. Yes he is in and out of the va hospitals in my state on a regular basis.  I have all those records.  I will be in touch... Have a wonderful 4th of July!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Ms Berta, sound slike he may have been diagnose wrong  if he don't say much and is withdrawn from society   and has high anxiety when he is reminded of his stressors  or Just Vietnam..ect,,,ect,,,,,

in my opinion  he has combat chronic PTSD  that's what they diagnose me for..but none of us here are Qualified to say he has PTSD  he needs to go to his VAMC and see his MH Clinic  if he has already did this or was diagnose from a military hospital  as the diagnoses in question  then he or you needs to find these medical records...but try what I mention above....

if he has a diagnose for 

schizophrenia?& not PTSD?  check the  diagnostic codes  for the diagnose.

also if your brother has had a change in his behavior after taking his prescribe medications   please get him to a Qualified Dr .

Like Ms Berta mention he maybe taking the wrong meds. ??

and usually with CHRONIC PTSD  it takes a while for the Dr's to figure out what med's he needs & the dosage,  and what helps him, they changed my medications twice before they got it right.  some veterans they change their med's a lot and it takes time  for this to happen.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is just a few symptoms for PTSD

Feeling upset by things that remind you of what happened

Having nightmares, vivid memories, or flashbacks of the event that make you feel like it’s happening all over again

Feeling emotionally cut off from others

Feeling numb or losing interest in things you used to care about

Feeling constantly on guard

Feeling irritated or having angry outbursts

Having difficulty sleeping

Having trouble concentrating

Being jumpy or easily startled

Related Information

They also can diagnose him with unspecific Anxiety Disorder /W Depression  ect,,ect,,  they are about 20 or more of those  just depends on his behavior and the symptoms he has.

While VA has different diagnostic codes for different mental illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia is diagnostic code 9201 and PTSD is diagnostic code 9411), all mental health conditions are evaluated under the same rating criteria according to 38 CFR § 4.130

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.100%

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.70%

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.50%

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).30%

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.10%

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.0%

iF YOUR BROTHER IS NOT IN TREATMENT PLEASE GET HIM TO SEE THE VA MH,  he truly needs to see a therapist  and VA is Excellent with this.

It is always possible, as well, that since he was in Vietnam 50 years ago, he might have Agent Orange disabilities.

The AO Presumptives are here:

https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/hazardous-materials-exposure/agent-orange/related-diseases/

Also his Unit surely has a web site and all Branches have histories of Battles in Vietnam on line.

My War Map of Vietnam is very large- I think you can magnify this with your PC-

This map helped me help some vets determine where they were in Vietnam. 

Some places might ring a bell with him, as to his stressors.

HUE is pronounced like 'way' and of course Monkey Mountain has a Vietnamese name on this map-I can translate anything there into English but there are plenty of maps of Vietnam in English on the net.

If you give me dates of his Vietnam service and entire Unit description, I might be able to narrow down some battles his unit was in during the period.

But then again, my husband was in many combat situations, but his stressors ,were not actually about the combat-for example his best friend in Vietnam was killed right in front of him , when a mine exploded under his tank. My husband was blown out of his Deuce 1/2 and he had to retrieve what was left of his friends charred body. When we went to the Wall, he did many tracings of his friend's name on the Wall.I dont think VA ever used that as evidence for PTSD, because one of his main stressors had been confirmed by the Chief of Psychology the first time he ever went to the VA. This doctor, who was also the Director of the VA in Newark at that time, and a Vietnam vet ,had been called to the scene in Vietnam due to a horrific 'volunteer' job my husband and a few other Marines had to do.The doctor said no one ,unless they were there, and in same unit , could possibly know  of the horrific details of this event and the doctor wrote a buddy letter for him and someone at the VA immediately filed a PTSD claim, which was granted, a few months later.

Of course the VSO might be able to find more out from those records -hopefully what happened and when and where in Vietnam.

1509526875_VietnamWarMapUpperarea001.thumb.jpg.2d4903d7a714edfe3721341f4695be3e.jpg

Edited by Berta
added more

• HadIt.com Elder

I maybe wrong saying this  but If HE IS PRETTY BAD   1ST THING i'D DO IS GET HIM IN TREATMENT   

IF YOU DON'T ...BAD THINGS CAN & MIGHT HAPPEN

He needs to be in treatment  first and then worry about a claim.

On 7/1/2020 at 4:11 AM, broncovet said:

I think I can help with the VSO/attorney question and its a good one, by the way!!!

Sometimes you need the experience and expertise of an attorney while at others a VSO will suffice.  

Some examples:

1.  You have been denied multiple times, appealed multiple times, without success using a VSO.  Now try an attorney.  This is when most Vets hire an attorney..AFTER the VSO failed them. 

2.  Your case is very old or complex.  I just dont expect a VSO to do "great effort" when they get the same pay if they dont bother to return your call.  

3.  If you just applied, and got a VARO denial in 2019 (your claim is "fresh", under a couple years old), then its okay to stick with a VSO at least until/unless he fails you.  

4.  If you have a computer, good communication and research skills, are at least somewhat orgainized you may be able to represent yourself or with a VSO.  

5.  If your original denied claim is over 10 years ago, time to get an attorney.

6.  If you have a recent (within 60 days) BVA denial.    Pick an attorney from THIS list:

https://www.vetadvocates.org/directory/widget_search?current_page=1&sort_type=featured&filter={"additional_info.show-profile-on-sustaining-membership-directory"%3A+"yes"}&asset_type=company_user&display_type=default

I am familiar with or have used the following experienced attorneys with good results:

1.  Chris Attig

2.  CCK law (the biggest, probably)

3.  Carpenter Chartered.  (Ken Carpenter out of Kansas).  The BEST , but old school and he didnt permit me to send my evidence via email.  

4.  Some other names also good:  Doug Rosinski, Hill and Pontoon, Bergman and Moore, Woods and Woods, Katrina Eagle.  

5.  Dont forget NVLSP, they work without charge "if" you meet their criteria.  Examples of their criteria are Nehmer Vets,  Vets with a recent BVA denial where NVLSP thinks you have an "issue of merit".  

@broncovet This is great info.

Ive been denied twice now for my current claim and during the time I was representing myself, I had "The Rep for Vets" under Harry Binder, on the back burner feeding them what I was doing. Once the second denial hit I went ahead and gave POA to RFV. So far, they've helped me in getting a solid nexus letter from a doctor by providing a letter addressed to the doctor, fully explaining what they need for my case in a way I could have not done myself. The doctor I found reviewed my records and stated he had enough information to verify what I was asked for in the letter. He is also assisting me with completing a Psych questionnaire.

So far, they have been top notch. The only issue I have had is their aid messed up my social a few times on my initial paperwork. They overnighted the form back to me to make up for it. Not huge but its a nice thing to see them try.