VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claim Appeared Automatically

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

I logged into my VA.gov account today and noticed it said there was a claim for compensation started. I never filed a claim on my end. I’m not sure if it’s just coincidence, but there’s a few things that strike me. 

The claim is dated for today(June 30th, 2020). My last claim was July 1st, 2015 which was a re-evaluation. I was called for a C&P exam back then, can’t remember if it was before or after this date. 

So it’s been almost 5 years exactly, do you think this was automatically triggered by the VA to do a re-evaluation of my current status? I honestly can’t think of anything else it could be. 

One last thing, I submitted my taxes this morning also. I’m currently rated at 80%, but getting paid for TDIU. On my taxes, the only income there was to report was around 2k in hobby income, in which my expenses almost matched(few hundred dollars shy, I believe). 

I know I shouldn’t be as worried as I am, but the paranoia in me says that they saw this tiny bit of earned income and requested a re-eval. I can’t say for sure, the status of my generated claim says they’re still adding details and to check back. 

Any ideas or info on the matter is appreciated 🙂 

4 minutes ago, MarineLCpl said:

You called that one, no luck with the contractor 😞 

You have to make FOIA request to VBA to get copy of contractor exams now. They used to send a courtesy copy to the VAMC but they no longer do so. I just made a request a couple of weeks ago so we’ll see what happens. 

They wont have seen that income that fast. Until the irs finished with it va wouldn’t even see it because it wouldn’t be income until after expenses were figured up (as you say it).  It could be a 5 year, that’s the most likely. They aren’t going after iu for your hobby income. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

2 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

They working have seen that income that fast. Until the irs finished with it va wouldn’t even see it because it wouldn’t be income until after expenses were figured up (as you say it).  It could be a 5 year, that’s the most likely. They aren’t going after iu for your hobby income. 

Well that’s good to know at least. Everything points to it being a 5-year then. Just hope I don’t have to do another C&P, those things make me beyond nervous. Hoping they just look at my treatment records. About a year and a half ago, I returned to the VA seeking treatment and now see a social worker for therapy and psych doc for meds. I recently looked over a few sessions worth of notes from the therapist and it scares me how she words things. Out of everything I tell her, I feel she makes it a point to only document the things I’m doing better with...so in my notes, it’s like “He’s doing better with this, he’s doing better with that” but in the grand scheme of things, I’m not much better in general. I feel like they’ll read these notes while reviewing my file and say “Hey, it’s looks like he’s doing better, C&P TIME!” 

It really sucks having to explain myself like I do every 5 years. All of my service connections have passed the 10-year mark, so they have some protections, but the anxiety of the whole situation eats at me until it’s all said and done...

They should be able to see by now that I have not gotten significantly better over a decade and my conditions are static, regardless of the slight improvements I make here and there in specific areas.

STRESSFUL!!!

Its not necessarily a 5 year exam, tho I agree that is possible.  Also possible:  If you have a representative, he may have looked at your file and submitted a claim in your behalf.  It would not be the first time, especially if you are already SC, and gave them your POA.  

Finally, there are rules about "inferred" claims.  One example:  You get 100 plus 60 combined.  Its an "inferred" claim for SMC S.  

Its even possible a VA employee went through your file and "noticed" there was an issue you did not file for, but he felt you qualified for an "informal claim" because you had a doc visit BEFORE March 24, 2015, and told the doctor, you were unemployed and could not get a job.  

This (inferred claim) is also possible.As much as some like to bash on VA employees, there are a lot of us that actually try to help veterans within the constraints that we are saddled with. 

I have caught 3 errors this week that caused 2 claims to wait for over 2 months for exams (due to covid) that they didnt need because I found buried on page 100-whatever of their medical records entries (in one case) for something they were already 0% SVC connected for, making the claim not a NEW claim but a simple increase request, and they had evidence already of record. I was able to change it from 'pending exams' to RFD and have it rated that day. In another, I waved off a veteran from applying for a job (that I had seen in their phone weekly checkin notes on their VAMC records) because I could see that they had a pending approval for IU that they hadn't gotten the letter for, yet. So I emailed them. I explained IU and told them it was their choice, but I felt they should have all the information before making the decision to take a job because they needed one economically and it was causing them a lot of stress and anxiety. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you Broken for watching out for your brothers and sisters where you can. The VA needs more like you. To be objective, in my personal experience, over the last 10 years I have notice a big improvement in the way the VA treats me. The VA Health side has certainly improved; I have had several surgeries and have nothing to say bad about that side of the house. Had a great advocate in my GP. VA Benefits; not so great, but I do think they are getting better in some areas. The patients' surveys confirm that we are mostly satisfied with their performance in health care, and you find fewer and fewer jerks to deal with on the benefits side. But, there are still some you run into, here and there. So it's up to the veteran to put the effort into doing their claims thoroughly and completely. That's why Hadit is so important in helping get it right. I bet the veteran you contacted about IU couldn't believe you went out of your way to offer advise; must have been special. Doesn't fit the old VA model.Anyway, keep up the good work.