VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA Win, Retro Pay Calculated With Incorrect Dependents, Who to Call?

Rate this topic

kcvab

Hello All,

After a 7 year wait, I won my VA appeal.  The problem is my new rate (1 July) and retro pay are calculated by the "Veteran Alone" rate.  I have a spouse and child.  I checked Ebenefits and the dependent status is correct there.  I'm not sure how a mistake like that can be made. I called the 800 number which was a waste of time.  A rep from IRIS was able to take action.  She said she would send a notice over to the "Dependent Dept."  Has anyone encountered anything like this?  Is there a way to follow-up.  How long should this take? I can remember it took a year for VA to add my spouse.  Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your service!

Edited by kcvab

I would trust IRIS to follow through.  I was just awarded 100% and downloaded my benefits letter from VA.gov,  award dollars were wrong on the benefits letter.  I fired off an email to IRIS and two days later my benefits letter reflected the correct amount.  I'm sure others will chime in.

• HadIt.com Elder

Toddt advise seems to be reasonable. If the dependents status has been correct for a considerable period of time, in other words you did not recently update it, they should be able to make the correction in a timely manner. Of course, "timely' is an oxymoron with the VA. 7 years on the hamster whell though might mean a higher level of signiture on the retro, so it could add some time to the delay. But go after it and you will get it eventually. Congrats.

• HadIt.com Elder
21 hours ago, kcvab said:

Hello All,

After a 7 year wait, I won my VA appeal.  The problem is my new rate (1 July) and retro pay are calculated by the "Veteran Alone" rate.  I have a spouse and child.  I checked Ebenefits and the dependent status is correct there.  I'm not sure how a mistake like that can be made. I called the 800 number which was a waste of time.  A rep from IRIS was able to take action.  She said she would send a notice over to the "Dependent Dept."  Has anyone encountered anything like this?  Is there a way to follow-up.  How long should this take? I can remember it took a year for them VA to add my spouse.  Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your service!

Check with broncovet on this   he just won his dependents claim for his children way back 2004 2005 after he won his appeal they never gave his dependents $$   so he appeal the dependent $$     and won  he also has a special dependent calculating system  to count the years of the dependent retro owed .

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use