VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

David Anaise MD for OSA secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

USMC_VET

Question

After Denials for OSA both direct and secondary to PTSD, this spring I decided to spend the money on a IMO and do the claim right.  I contacted Dr. Anaise and was told to send all my records, decision letters and $1500.  

After about a week I was emailed with a final IMO report that was around 40-50 pages.  It was excellent & well researched. Within 6 weeks of submitting the IMO with a supplemental claim OSA secondary to PTSD was approved.

Yes IMO's dont guarantee anything and they can be expensive but they are definitely worth it when you have been denied already and have nothing else to submit and someone like Dr. Anaise will always outweight the NP the VA usually has doing exams.

• HadIt.com Elder

JK I think you are doing what you think is best and most comfortable with. Dr Ellis is very good and if you want to beef-up your chances, go right ahead. If that means going with a lawyer, so be it. Others may disagree, but you are the best advocate for your claim. Last thing you want to do is 2nd guess yourself, not get the legal help, and be denied again. Getting 3/4ths of a pie is a lot better than no pie at all. Wish you well.

On 7/7/2020 at 1:26 PM, deedub75 said:

I was able to get OSA secondary to my service connected chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis by simply asking my VA if primary care doctor if my OSA was caused by allergies and sinusitis. He said yes and he made a note in my records that my OSA was more than likely caused my allergies and sinusitis. He was the one who ordered my sleep study as well. 

I have sinusitus and Asthma and I am service connected for both and they are known issues that can cause sleep apnea which I have and have a CPAP machine.  Yet the VA denied me so I hired and attorney and got a second IMO to go with my Dr. Ellis IMO and have appealed to the BVA.

My husband has just contacted Dr Anaise for an IMO for his OSA. According to his VSO, it appears no weight was given to the buddy statements and his medical records from his last deployment states that he had insomnia. He was moved to nights while on deployment so his roommate could sleep but apparently that wasn't enough for the SC. 

So now I'm in the process of going through all his paperwork to send over to Dr Anaise's office. Reading these threads gives us hope. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Ammo6998 Getting OSA disability, a 50% rating if you need a CPAP, is no easy deal anymore with the VA. Did your friend's buddy letter state he witnessed his symptoms prior to his move to the night shift? You can also provide a buddy letter if you witnessed ( continue to witness) his OSA since he got home. Dr. Anise is a lawyer and a doctor. If he takes your case it means he believes you have a good shot at winning. He's not cheap, but it sometimes makes more sense to go with a proven winner. You already were denied, so IMHO going with a top gun makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

Ammo6998 Getting OSA disability, a 50% rating if you need a CPAP, is no easy deal anymore with the VA. Did your friend's buddy letter state he witnessed his symptoms prior to his move to the night shift? You can also provide a buddy letter if you witnessed ( continue to witness) his OSA since he got home. Dr. Anise is a lawyer and a doctor. If he takes your case it means he believes you have a good shot at winning. He's not cheap, but it sometimes makes more sense to go with a proven winner. You already were denied, so IMHO going with a top gun makes a lot of sense.

The buddy letter was from his CO who put him on nights because of the roommate's complaints. We did realize that due to the denial it would be an upward battle. We are very grateful that it appears he does have a shot at s-c because we are coming out of pocket for his treatment and the accessories are not cheap. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use