VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab 'Independent Living' or simply NIGHTMARE?!

Rate this question

WomanMarine

Question

In Feb of 2018 I had an accident where my back went out on my and my left side became paralysed. I spent two weeks in the hospital relearning how to walk with a walker. I also became incontentine because of the nerve damage. I eventually regained some feeling in my left side and now am able to walk with a cane, but still have footdrop.

In January of 2019 I had a counselor come to my 'unfinished' home, for an appt on Independent Living. He made several suggestions, including an SAH/HISA grants, scooters, lift chair and hospital bed. My VR counselor wrote up the items and sent them to my, then current, primary. My primary ignored them. VR then said they could do nothing for me until my primary complied; so they closed my case.

I got a new primary, as I moved to the Womens Clinic and reopened my claim. Rather than going back and submitting the paperwork to my new primary, VR decided I needed a new home visit. I complied. The suggestions came back similar to the original visit. 

Here comes CV19 and my VR counselor is 'working from home' and does not have her notes and I have to start all over again!

My VR counselor, Kerita Anakoro:
As you know everyone in our office was sent home due to Covid-19 in March.  We are now working from home and I need to communicate with you once again in order to move forward with your IL needs. Our files (which I had all my notes), are no longer available.  In other words, we have to start from the beginning again. This meeting will review your IL needs based on your report and move forward.

MY response:

Ms. Anakoro,

So let me get this straight ... 

After being in the VR program for over two years, meeting with two counselors @ my home, plus meetings in St. Louis ... and now we are starting over?

What happened to the help that I was to receive?

I have NO CLUE what VR is up to ... 😕

My situation has changed since I last spoke to her in April. My cousin, a veteran, who is now living in V.A. assisted living, wants to live with me and is appointing me as his guardian. I have no idea how to deal with this, as it would require new modifications, as he is pretty much in the same boat as me ... except he uses TWO canes ... 😮

In November I had to have a quad-by-pass, because of the dioxin and agent orange. Due to the fact I had this surgery at a private hospital, referred by VA, they did not provide me medication upon my discharge ... They thought the VA would. Because of this and not knowing how important this medication was; I went without. This caused me to be hospitalized again, because my surgery did not take and I needed to have FIVE stents. 

I can't understand, how to the V.A., Veterans seem to be second class citizens. 

Any suggestions of how to get them to do their job?

It is very important that you find out who your VR Counselor's Supervisor is and contact that person to explain what your concern's are.

Also are you trying to complete Voc Rehab with the goal to work again. If so I am guessing you are 100% scheduler? If not you can still work just making under the poverty 13,300 yearly. Either way I wish you all the best luck and getting that supervisor involved with motivate that VR Counselor.

Delays are "par for the course" with VA.  ILP is no exception.  Its one of those things we cant change.  You dont have a choice but to wait on VA.  Like yourself, I dont like it either, but you would have better chances of making it rain than hurrying up VA.  

Maybe I did not make my point clear.

I had a phone call with my VRILP counselor in March, when they first started working from home. Now she is rescheduling, because she says, she does not have access to her March notes; when she started working from home ... 

I am in contact with VISN over this behavior.

I spoke with VISN about the fact that she seemed to be 'stalling' my case. As well I discussed I needed a lift chair, sooner than later ... He called my primary, who had a social worker call me to inform me that they do not do 'lift chairs' anymore. As well I inquired about the V.A. Medical Foster program, for my cousin. Which I was informed that they do not participate in, but STL does.

You are barking up the wrong tree… our agency is all about employment and if someone is unable to work we may assist with IL needs. This agency does not have knowledge regarding someone becoming a medical foster parent.

Frankly, Ms. Anakoro, I am trying to figure out just what you do ... 

Your organization hasn't done a thing for me, except intrude on my privacy and cause me grief.
I have been needing a lift chair for over TWO YEARS!!!
I had to burn my bed because I could not get out of it in time to urinate on the toilet.
I sleep in my recliner because I have no other place to sleep. 
Because I have to use the shower transfer seat to hold up the footrest, I cannot get out of it in time.I needed the HISA grant so I could have an entryway ... but NO, you can't do that.
So WHAT DO YOU DO?

The medical foster parent program would get me to work and my cousin and I could both benefit.
It is a program administered by John Cochran V.A.

We have a phone appt tomorrow @ 9am ... 😮
Edited by WomanMarine
typo

My advice is that you will get more flies with honey rather than vinegar.  Most of us feel like VA has deliberately delayed us, sometimes singling us out for delays.  

I had a CAVC remand from 2013 (7 years) which has still not been implemented.  I will be filing a writ of mandamus because recent correspondence with VARO indicates "they dont want" to implement the remand.  

For now, do your best to be cordial and co operative.  You have plenty of time to get "tough" later.