VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab 'Independent Living' or simply NIGHTMARE?!

Rate this question

WomanMarine

Question

In Feb of 2018 I had an accident where my back went out on my and my left side became paralysed. I spent two weeks in the hospital relearning how to walk with a walker. I also became incontentine because of the nerve damage. I eventually regained some feeling in my left side and now am able to walk with a cane, but still have footdrop.

In January of 2019 I had a counselor come to my 'unfinished' home, for an appt on Independent Living. He made several suggestions, including an SAH/HISA grants, scooters, lift chair and hospital bed. My VR counselor wrote up the items and sent them to my, then current, primary. My primary ignored them. VR then said they could do nothing for me until my primary complied; so they closed my case.

I got a new primary, as I moved to the Womens Clinic and reopened my claim. Rather than going back and submitting the paperwork to my new primary, VR decided I needed a new home visit. I complied. The suggestions came back similar to the original visit. 

Here comes CV19 and my VR counselor is 'working from home' and does not have her notes and I have to start all over again!

My VR counselor, Kerita Anakoro:
As you know everyone in our office was sent home due to Covid-19 in March.  We are now working from home and I need to communicate with you once again in order to move forward with your IL needs. Our files (which I had all my notes), are no longer available.  In other words, we have to start from the beginning again. This meeting will review your IL needs based on your report and move forward.

MY response:

Ms. Anakoro,

So let me get this straight ... 

After being in the VR program for over two years, meeting with two counselors @ my home, plus meetings in St. Louis ... and now we are starting over?

What happened to the help that I was to receive?

I have NO CLUE what VR is up to ... 😕

My situation has changed since I last spoke to her in April. My cousin, a veteran, who is now living in V.A. assisted living, wants to live with me and is appointing me as his guardian. I have no idea how to deal with this, as it would require new modifications, as he is pretty much in the same boat as me ... except he uses TWO canes ... 😮

In November I had to have a quad-by-pass, because of the dioxin and agent orange. Due to the fact I had this surgery at a private hospital, referred by VA, they did not provide me medication upon my discharge ... They thought the VA would. Because of this and not knowing how important this medication was; I went without. This caused me to be hospitalized again, because my surgery did not take and I needed to have FIVE stents. 

I can't understand, how to the V.A., Veterans seem to be second class citizens. 

Any suggestions of how to get them to do their job?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@WomanMarine I hope they are able to help get this resolved for you. There's no legitimate excuse for this. They should have handled your request correctly the first time.

• Founder

@WomanMarine they told me they were not doing lift chairs anymore, but then they approved me for one I think once they realize it they will change but I’ll let you know if I get a lift chair.

1 hour ago, Tbird said:

@WomanMarine they told me they were not doing lift chairs anymore, but then they approved me for one I think once they realize it they will change but I’ll let you know if I get a lift chair.

Thanks @Tbird.

Since you go through the same VARO, can I ask who your counselor is?

Edited by WomanMarine