HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

107%
    $1,608.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

Voc Rehab 'Independent Living' or simply NIGHTMARE?!

Question

In Feb of 2018 I had an accident where my back went out on my and my left side became paralysed. I spent two weeks in the hospital relearning how to walk with a walker. I also became incontentine because of the nerve damage. I eventually regained some feeling in my left side and now am able to walk with a cane, but still have footdrop.

In January of 2019 I had a counselor come to my 'unfinished' home, for an appt on Independent Living. He made several suggestions, including an SAH/HISA grants, scooters, lift chair and hospital bed. My VR counselor wrote up the items and sent them to my, then current, primary. My primary ignored them. VR then said they could do nothing for me until my primary complied; so they closed my case.

I got a new primary, as I moved to the Womens Clinic and reopened my claim. Rather than going back and submitting the paperwork to my new primary, VR decided I needed a new home visit. I complied. The suggestions came back similar to the original visit. 

Here comes CV19 and my VR counselor is 'working from home' and does not have her notes and I have to start all over again!

My VR counselor, Kerita Anakoro:
As you know everyone in our office was sent home due to Covid-19 in March.  We are now working from home and I need to communicate with you once again in order to move forward with your IL needs. Our files (which I had all my notes), are no longer available.  In other words, we have to start from the beginning again. This meeting will review your IL needs based on your report and move forward.

MY response:

Ms. Anakoro,

So let me get this straight ... 

After being in the VR program for over two years, meeting with two counselors @ my home, plus meetings in St. Louis ... and now we are starting over?

What happened to the help that I was to receive?

I have NO CLUE what VR is up to ... 😕

My situation has changed since I last spoke to her in April. My cousin, a veteran, who is now living in V.A. assisted living, wants to live with me and is appointing me as his guardian. I have no idea how to deal with this, as it would require new modifications, as he is pretty much in the same boat as me ... except he uses TWO canes ... 😮

In November I had to have a quad-by-pass, because of the dioxin and agent orange. Due to the fact I had this surgery at a private hospital, referred by VA, they did not provide me medication upon my discharge ... They thought the VA would. Because of this and not knowing how important this medication was; I went without. This caused me to be hospitalized again, because my surgery did not take and I needed to have FIVE stents. 

I can't understand, how to the V.A., Veterans seem to be second class citizens. 

Any suggestions of how to get them to do their job?

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

It is very important that you find out who your VR Counselor's Supervisor is and contact that person to explain what your concern's are.

Also are you trying to complete Voc Rehab with the goal to work again. If so I am guessing you are 100% scheduler? If not you can still work just making under the poverty 13,300 yearly. Either way I w

Maybe I did not make my point clear. I had a phone call with my VRILP counselor in March, when they first started working from home. Now she is rescheduling, because she says, she does not have a

On 11/20/2020 at 8:01 AM, Tbird said:

I hope it goes well for you.

Lol Tbird ...

I HAVE HADIT!

AFTER TWO YEARS IN THE VA IPL PROGRAM - I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!
THESE PEOPLE ARE LIKE WHAT MY GRANNY USE TO CALL "USLESS AS TITS ON A BOAR!"

HERE IS ANOTHER ORGANIZATION @ THE V.A. THAT NEEDS TO BE CUT, PRESIDENT TRUMP! SAVE THE TAX PAYERS SOME MONIES 😃

KERITA by OzARKGranny (soundcloud.com)

Edited by WomanMarine

1 hour ago, WomanMarine said:

Lol Tbird ...

I HAVE HADIT!

AFTER TWO YEARS IN THE VA IPL PROGRAM - I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!
THESE PEOPLE ARE LIKE WHAT MY GRANNY USE TO CALL "USLESS AS TITS ON A BOAR!"

HERE IS ANOTHER ORGANIZATION @ THE V.A. THAT NEEDS TO BE CUT, PRESIDENT TRUMP! SAVE THE TAX PAYERS SOME MONIES 😃

KERITA by OzARKGranny (soundcloud.com)

VA = MADE IN CHINA!

When I received these utensils in the mail I was unaware I had Parkinson’s Disease, as that is one of the common ailments among Agent Orange/Dioxin contaminated Veterans.  But it came as a surprise to my Primary VA Caregiver last week that I received this shipment. 1F612.png?resize=24%2C24

However, I believe, my Ischemic Heart Disease to be a direct correlation to Agent Orange exposure, but at this point, the VA does not! So far I have had a quadruple by-pass and EIGHT stents due to Ischemic Heart Disease as well I have Peripheral Neuropathy, but that recently developed, I believe because all of this hit me at once. Strange enough, my 100% disability rating comes from none of the above diseases! 1F601.png?resize=24%2C24

My medication for Ischemic Heart Disease is taken daily, but this last year I seem to have to double up on them as their strength seems to have gotten weaker over the last year.

MADE-IN-CHINA.jpg?resize=300%2C225

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By CRAFTcheese1stOfThe503
      Hello, Bro's and Sis's 
      I'm sorry but I couldn't find a forum exclusively about the GI BILL. If this isn't the right place please move it to the right forum if you don't mind. I got out of the Army on May 15 2006th, and I used a good bit of my Gi Bill (Chapter 33) not the forever GI Bill, which I thought everyone who qualified, for the GI Bill was switched over to. I still have over a year left on my (Chapter 33) GI Bill, and just found out that it was not apart of the forever GI Bill that Trump signed in to law, and found out my GI Bill was expiring soon as was my right to utilized the VOC REHAB educational assistance. I'm Purple Heart recipient , rated 100% at the VA, for different disabilities incurred during my time in the service (Infantry) “Tinnitus, both knees had surgery, back, upper buttock, shrapnel removal, and couple other surgeries I can't thin of right now, so I've been to school on and off and never used my full GI Bill which I'm near finished, and hoping I can continue to receive the GI Bill, so I can complete my degree, and have something I could hopefully fall back on if the VA takes away rating, for whatever reason and I end up homeless with no real job skills.
      Beside all of that does anyone on this site know if medical conditions, will help me extend the 15 year cut off date for the GI Bill (Chapter 33).
      The Post 9/11 GI Bill expires 15 years after your End Time Service (ETS). I've read around and seen you can get your Post 9/11 GI Bill extended for medical reasons but all I've read was scuttlebutt and was hopping someone from here that has actually has has their extended due to medical reasons and could help point me in the right directions to see if I qualify for and extensions due to medical reasons.
      The Forever GI Bill never expires you just have to complete 6 months of service or receive the Purple Heart after January 1, 2013.

• By flynsolo2
      Hello. I am wondering about educational benefits. When I was in the military, I did not have any dependents, so, I did not list anyone to transfer my GI BIll to. Once I was out and service connected, I was told it is best to Voc Rehab stipends, and I did. My question is that it now states that my GI Bill is delimiting April 2021, with 25 months worth of benefits not exhausted yet. Is there ANYTHING I can do about this? I have dependents now, but, it will not let me transfer. Is there any way to get it transferred now? I have read posts that some have done both voc rehab AND GI bill benefits at the same time-but, am I able to go back and receive retroactive pay with a GI Bill? I hate to have 25 months worth of educational benefits go to waste........any help with this would be great. THANK YOU!!!!
    • By Tbird
      So my Voc Rehab counselor called and said they were ready to start purchasing
      Step stool to get in and out of car Kitchen height adjustable so I can sit at my countertops to prep food. Prescription dispenser with alarm. (I asked for a different one than they suggested so I am waiting to hear.) Lumbar cushion for Van. Lift Chair they picked out PerfectSleepChair.com I don't know if that means I'm getting that one or something similar. Zero Gravity Workstation they are offering this one http://www.ergoquest.com/zero-gravity-workstation-0.html which doesn't accomodate my monitors so I asked for this one http://www.ergoquest.com/zero-gravity-workstation-0a.html (I am waiting to hear.) Mobility Scooter Anything over $1200 will need a second approval and anything over $3000 will have to go to a contracting officer. Which is where my Zero Gravity station will need to go.
      I'll let you know when stuff starts showing up
    • By brokensoldier244th
      Per VA directive- if any of you are on Voc Rehab education and getting a stipend/BAH- the coronavirus modification that made your online classes remain paid as physical classes that was supposed to expire in Dec2020 has been extended to DEC 20201. I think this also counts for the Job assistance payments you get after graduating while looking for a job (normally 2 months) extended to 4 months. 

5202.Extensions of certain provisions of law (a)Extension of Student Veteran Coronavirus Response Act of 2020 Section 2 of the Student Veteran Coronavirus Response Act of 2020 (Public Law 116–140) is amended by striking December 21, 2020 and inserting December 21, 2021. (b)Extension of period for continuation of Department of Veterans Affairs educational assistance benefits for certain programs of education converted to distance learning by reason of emergencies and health-related situations Section 1(b) of Public Law 116–128 is amended by striking December 21, 2020 and inserting December 21, 2021.
    • By Tbird
      please answer the questions
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 41 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines