VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Template to request C-File

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

PRIVACY ACT REQUEST

VIA FACSIMILE & CERTIFIED MAIL (Return Receipt Requested)

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS CLAIMS INTAKE CENTER

PO BOX 4444

JANESVILLE, WI 53547-4444

-or-

Fax to: TOLL FREE: 844-531-7818

July 15, 2018

RE: PRIVACY ACT REQUEST

Veteran: Name         

VA File No (SSN): xxx-xx-xxxx

Veteran Social Security #: xxx-xx-xxxx

To Whom it May Concern:

This is a request for documents under the Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552a, (PA) on behalf of INSERT NAME(Veteran). This request is properly made via facsimile as it contains the signature of the requester.

1. IDENTIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS. I hereby request all documents contained in my VA claims folder for any of Veteran INSERT NAME VA claims, AND, to include anything in the VA Virtual File, Virtual Records, or any electronic system where records about me or my claim are kept or stored.

1. I understand that if I am seeking my Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center records, I will contact that Medical Center.

1. FORM/FORMAT IN WHICH TO PRODUCE INFORMATION. The PA and the VA’s own internal policies related to PA requests, require that the records be produced in the format sought by the requester, if the record is readily reproducible in that form or format.

·         Please provide my records (on a CD or in Paper). I understand my records are now in the electronic format and at times the copies maybe hard to read due to the condition my record was at the time of scanning.  Please take special care to ensure that both sides of any two-sided documents produced in response to this request are included in the response, and are scanned into a PDF in such a way that they do not “bleed-through” from one side of the document to the other.

4. TIME FOR RESPONSE. Please note that this request for documents is being made pursuant to the Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552, as well as 38 C.F.R. §1.550 and 38 C.F.R. § 1.577. Your agency has a duty to respond to this request within TWENTY (20) BUSINESS DAYS of the date of this request pursuant to 5 U.S.C. § 552 (a)(6)(A)(2)(i).

Additionally, although an extension of time to respond may be requested, it may only be granted for “unusual circumstances.”  “Predictable agency workload” is not typically considered an unusual circumstance as stated in 5 U.S.C. § 552(a)(6)(C)(ii). Moreover, even to the extent that unusual circumstances could be demonstrated in this instance, the time limit for the extension is limited to “10 working days” pursuant to 38 C.F.R. § 1.553(d).

Please also be aware that your agency's failure to respond to this request within twenty business (20) days can result in the filing of an administrative appeal with the office of the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs pursuant to 38 C.F.R. § 1.557 and 5 U.S.C. § 552(a)(6)(A)(2) (ii), and/or, the filing of a federal lawsuit to compel the production of the information. In any such appeal or lawsuit, I intend to seek not only injunctive and/or monetary relief related to this request, but to the extent permitted by law, injunctive and/or monetary relief based on the Department of Veteran’s Affairs patterns and/or practices of responding to PA requests in a manner violative of the PA, as well as attorney fees and litigation expenses, and any other remedy/relief available at law.

5. Point of Contact. As discussed above, please respond to this request within twenty (20) business days. I may be contacted at Insert PHONE# or EMAIL. My address is INSERT ADDRESS.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Respectfully,

INSERT SIGNATURE & NAME (MUST be signed)

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Founder

You should start a blog with these type of posts that way they won’t get lost and you can easily refer folks to your blog link. Pm if you want to setup a blog but can;t figure it out.

On 7/8/2020 at 3:59 AM, Tbird said:

You should start a blog with these type of posts that way they won’t get lost and you can easily refer folks to your blog link. Pm if you want to setup a blog but can;t figure it out.

Thank You TBIRD maybe that way I wont have the same people being negative as to everything I post in attempt to help others.

• HadIt.com Elder
7 hours ago, Ddsr said:

Thank You TBIRD maybe that way I wont have the same people being negative as to everything I post in attempt to help others.

Ddsr

Don't worry to much about what others think , your post will help others and especially if they are trying for the IU....>  its hard to please everyone.

Most of us know it takes evidence to win our claims  and some times the VA says our evidence don't meet the rating criteria and were denied.

So veterans must search the  rating criteria for each of his/her ratings for the condition/disability that he /she files for and let the VA know what that criteria rating is,  If we let them know about what we should be rated for then normally we will get the correct rating (jmo)  and also they can add this   I expect to be rated to the full extent of the law set within the CFR'S

HERE IS A FEW IN THE CFR

https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp#c

And always remember VA raters don't like to read the long drawn out statements, so the veteran needs to get right to the point he is trying to make.

Now sometimes this is hard to do  depending on the case its self.

Ddsr  keep posting , your post will certainly help these young guys coming in and asking for help, your on your way to be a well seasoned member here at hadit  so keep up the good work.  we need it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ddsr Buck's advice is spot on; don't worry what others think.  Just be respectful if you want to provide an alternate opinion. It does help, however, if you can develop a tough skin :>)  Providing different views on what has been successful for you personally gives the veteran something more to consider and even may encourage others to offer their opinions. Keep on doing your best to help others.

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Here is the thing, you have your experience and what worked for you and that is great. Your experience can help others and that is great. Don't get offended if others have different opinions/experiences because they are also great  and they can help others.   Here at Hadit.com we not only have our own personal experiences dealing with VA, we also have experiences in helping others deal with VA and overcome and win their claim(s). Always keep in mind that there is more than one way to skin a cat. In some cases what worked for one veteran at one VARO may not work for another veteran at a different VARO. There is not set standard at the VA. We are only here to help and guide and if you stay and post you will learn that it is a continuous learning process that never really ends. Opinions will come and go and there is no reason to get dogmatic about yours. IMHO (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION) the more difference of opinions the better for the veteran to review/research. It is up to the veteran to determine what is the best route for him/her to take when doing their homework/research on how to further process their claims. 

The template is good but a vet can also use this form to get a copy of their C file:

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA3288.pdf