VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss appeal

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I am currently 0% for my hearing but it was services connected last year.  I recently went to a private ENT and had a hearing test done by them and filed for an increase for my hearing.  I'm hoping they will raise it above 0% but obviously I have no idea what they are going to do.  My question is does anyone know at what point the VA decides there is enough hearing loss for compensation?  My ENT told me I am at about 40% hearing loss according to my test they conducted so I submitted that as evidence for an increase.

6 answers to this question

Did they do a word discrimination  test, where they rate your hearing based on how easily or not you hear words? That’s one of the tests required for a hearing loss claim (Maryland CNC, I believe). You may end up getting an exam scheduled anyway, though if your ent didn’t do that. 

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theears.html

Actually they did and the results were pretty good.  I think I was 100% in one ear and 96% in the other.  The problem is they turn the volume up and sitting in a quiet booth kinda put me behind the curve.  Take me out in public and introduce back ground noise and then I'm screwed.  Sounds like I wont be going above 0% now.....hahaha.

Those damned beeps are almost impossible to hear though.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ranmic Obtaining a disability rating for hearing over 0% is fairly difficult. If it isn't really bad it just doesn't make their min. scale. But truthfully, the cost of hearing aides makes a 0% rating pretty attractive. Just because you are at 0% doesn't mean you don't need hearing aides. You also realize if you have tinnitus, ringing or buzzing noise, that is a SEPERATE rating from hearing loss and it is rated a flat 10% if you have it. I know a lot of veterans rated for tinnitus, but 0% or even nothing for hearing loss. If you have tinnitus, definitely claim it. As for hearing, if your ENT wrote a IMO for you that would be new evidence the VA would have to consider. Since you are already s-c at 0%, they aren't (likely) going to take it away, so you can reapply for an increase in a year or two.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
3 hours ago, Ranmic said:

Actually they did and the results were pretty good.  I think I was 100% in one ear and 96% in the other.  The problem is they turn the volume up and sitting in a quiet booth kinda put me behind the curve.  Take me out in public and introduce back ground noise and then I'm screwed.  Sounds like I wont be going above 0% now.....hahaha.

Those damned beeps are almost impossible to hear though.

This is what I felt like every time I had a hearing exam

image.png.930875788144bb604222097e795bfdf2.png

Edited by Vync

• HadIt.com Elder

CHECK THIS LINK OUT FOR THE CRITERIA FOR HEARING LOSS BY THE VA.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theears.html

**BROKENSOLDIER244TH IS CORRECT ON THE MARYLAND CNC WORD TEST.

Edited by Buck52