VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

who had c&p doctor say a surgery was procedure not surgery

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

• who else had c&p doctor say a surgery was procedure not surgery. The c&p doctor argued and said that a Procedure is Not Surgery.

Surgery for Pancreatic Cysts | Memorial Sloan Kettering ...

Named after a surgeon who worked at MSK in the 1940s, the Whipple Procedure (also known as pancreatoduodenectomy) is used to remove cysts in the head of the pancreas. In this approach, surgeons remove not only the head of the pancreas but also part of the small intestine, the lower half of the bile duct, the surrounding lymph nodes, the gallbladder, and sometimes part of the stomach.

a link, many links say:

==================

This c&p was about my pancreas surgery that ended up being a 6 month month hospital stay ending with necrotizing pancreatitis and liver disease. They went with endoscope and cut the wrong thing. It took over a decade and the BVA and 1151 claim to fight these crooks. He insisted there was no surgery for his report. I call it another page of dirty tricks used by VA C&P ! IMHO

I know this has been hashed over and while already adjudicated, well not quite done yet (still might have to file appeal, but my VA rep still tells me I have to wait until they get done denying me. I have until December 2020 to file a disagreement of their lowball 1151 percentage), but I have to live with it and constantly suffering thinking about all the B.S. the VA put me through for 20 years of the denied claims !

Yes

ACCORDING TO 3 SOURCES

Pancreatic Cyst Gastronomy Pancreatic cyst gastronomy is a drainage procedure that an advanced endoscopist or surgeon may use if a pancreatic pseudocyst—a fluid-filled sac—develops in the abdomen and causes symptoms such as pain, the sensation of a full stomach, or vomiting.
    The Whipple Procedure (also known as a pancreatoduodenectomy) is used to remove cysts in the head of the pancreas. Surgeons remove the head of the pancreas; the duodenum, part of the small intestine; the lower half of the bile duct; the surrounding lymph nodes; the gallbladder, and, in some cases, the pylorus, part of the stomach.

Surgical Oncology Program - Pancreatic Cysts

surgicaloncology.surgery.ucsf.edu
    Surgery is often a good option for treating a pancreatic cyst. Young, healthy patients may prefer this option to draining, as it is often the most effective approach. It is also usually the preferred method if a biopsy indicates the cyst may become cancerous.

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

All surgeries are procedures, but not all procedures are surgeries. In my non-professional opinion, it is a procedure, but indeed a "surgical" procedure. My wife worked as a surgical assistant in a surgical room for years and I remember her telling me about the gastro surgeons doing whipples.

Get a copy of the operative report. Get the credentials of the C&P examiner. I would not be surprised if the examiner was a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant. If it was a recent examination, fight the VA on it and request a second opinion by a gastrointestinal surgeon who has actual experience.

As info, after my heart attack I was taken to the cath lab, they placed stents in my heart by going through my wrist. I was awake during the whole thing, but zonked on pain meds. Still counted as a surgery.

You had one of the best 1151 claims I have seen here in over 20 year. Vync is correct- it does not matter what they call it and you apparently did win the 1151 but need to appeal the rating.

You might well need a strong IMO/IME to appeal it. Feel free to give the IMO/IME doctor print outs of all of the extensive research I did for you years ago-still available here at hadit, if you need it.

I could never determine what rating was appropriate, for your 1151 disability. That is when an IMO/IME can help significantly .