VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Medicare Soon

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When you speak of plan are you talking about the drug plan? If so my mother-in-law went with the AARP one and it seems to work well for her. She is not on many medications so that may be a factor.

• HadIt.com Elder

I added an HMO Medicare HMO to my Medicare at no extra cost that works pretty good. I think that you can get a current list of what is available to you from Medicare.

It cost me 100 bucks for my 19,000 angioplasty.

• HadIt.com Elder

I went with the AARP thing on the prescription drug deal, but, that's just because they're a bunch of old farts, just like me.

I tried reading all the different companie's literature on their different plans, etc.

I got tired and just said "Heck, I've belonged to AARP since I was 50 years old, they haven't done a darn thing that I agree with, so I'll just sign up for their plan........!"

I know, I know, doesn't make sense, but neither does the whole "drug plan" deal.

• HadIt.com Elder
I`m getting medicare the first of the month and don`t understand the part about selecting a plan. Can you help me out?

Cavman

What do you mean? Part "A" is free and covers hospital. Part "B" covers other medical expenses(around $85 a month). Both have a co-insurance payment. The drug one is Part "D" (I think) and helps pay for prescriptions. As a vet we get our scripts free or reduced so I see no need for part"D." I have parts A & B and pay about $85 a month. I have one script I pay out of pocket because VA doesn't carry it and I feel it's worth it. I don't use VA except for routine blood work and scripts. Your choice. I feel free care is worth just what you pay for it. jmo

pr

Guest rickb54
I`m getting medicare the first of the month and don`t understand the part about selecting a plan. Can you help me out?

Cavman

Caveman,

I don't know if you are retired military. For those of us that are we have Tricare. In order for me to continue to use Tricare, the law required me to take Medicare Part B. At first I really didn't want to pay for Medicare because to me it was forced on me. In the end I am glad I took it, because it paid for my first power chair when the VA had there head in a dark place. And just last week it paid for my home oxygen therapy. I don't actually pay for tricare for myself, but I do pay for it for my wife. The cost is $57.50 a quarter, of course Medicare part B is about $85.00 a month and goes up every year. Those of us that have tricare have a choice of using Military Hospitals, as well as any civillian hospital. Our medications are free as long as we use the post pharmacy. Of course I can also use the VA so I am lucky that I have two places to seek care, and between the two I can usually get the medications I need without an additional Drug cost. I chose to continue with the "straight" Medicare plan that is I did not select a HMO because my choices remain unlimited.

Sorry I am long winded. My point is you do not have to select a plan if you want to be able to go anywere at anytime, other wise with an HMO you are limited and have to play buy the HMO's rules as well as Medicare rules. I guess you choice will depend on what is available in your are and the cost of different plans.

Go to http://WWW.Medicare.gov and see what they offer for your area.