VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Medicare Soon

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ive been wondering about this as well. I got the medicare info in the mail and I become eligible in May. I will be having another back surgery in the next few months. Im not sure how the medicare works like this but wanted to see about holding off on my surgery until after May and then picking my own surgeon through medicare for my surgery. But, I dont know if something like that can be done or how much co-pays would be. Ive gone over the medicare site and just dont seem to find it in a way that I understand it.

Im also not sure for me if the part A would be free or not. I think I may be right under the work credit amount needed in order for it to be free. I was disharged for my disability at 27 so the only work credit I have is the 7 years of Army. I will have to call medicare/ssa to find out my current total. I think you have to have 40 to qualify or you have to pay a monthly premium.

Any help with this would be great.

• HadIt.com Elder

The paying for Medicare A is a surprise to me. I know that of you opt out of Medicare Part B that they charge a penalty to get back into the plean.

Do your homework and if you can you should try to get a supplemental plan which has open enrollment when you first get Medicare and than have to wait till end of year to change plans.

Like I said earlier I have one that costs me nothing but I have to have Part B and all I really have is copays.

Please check everything very carefully and calling Social Security or Medicare first would be the best bet.

Finally found out today that there will not be a premium I have to pay for part A. They said usually, you have to have 40 work credits, but if you are younger, they take that into account and if you have an approved disability. Apparently the person I talked to before who told me I may not have enough was smoking something that day. So, thats a relief. Now I just need to try and figure out how medicare exactly works.

• HadIt.com Elder

Old Hippie I get carvedilol 12.5mg (coreg) and have for months they stopped my Plavix and refused to renew it too expensive I guess they had me on 25mg but I had an episode with my blood pressure in Sep and they cut most of my BP meds in half after that I have lost almost 70 pounds in the past 2 years I guess it made a difference

I have medicare part A and B, Part B cost a little over $90.00 a month, I don't need a supplement for I have Tricare for Life and between the two I never pay for doctor visits or hospital stays. I do use the VA for most of my medications as they are free. I will not use the VA for anything major they scare the hell out of me. I've had 5 new doctors in 6 years and there is no way you can build up a trust in a doctor at the VA, they PCS more than I did in the military. Sgt D