VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can weight loss lead to sleep apnea rating decrease?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

3 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Not to mention potentially deadly. I fell asleep last night without my mask on and my acid reflux woke me up choking- in part because my CPAP helps control that as a side effect of forcing my airway open. 

Not only does my CPAP control the apneas, it also keeps me in the sleep stages for the appropriate amount of time.  I was having virtually no REM sleep and was spending way too much time in stage 2 before the CPAP.  It's amazing how using a CPAP balanced all of that out. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I have OSA, but not (yet) s-c for it. Like Brokernsoldier, I also have GERD. Same situation, I try not to take any naps, although it is very hard to do. I won't let myself fall asleep without being hooked up to the CPAP. Just don't need to have that acid reflux acting up and it will if I don't hook up. But to answer the question, I asked for more masks  and the shipped them. But they also said that was it until I get my regular follow-up eval. My guess is a regular "re-exam" is o  a 3 year cycle.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just to add, I'd prefer to lose the weight if I could and take the chance of being reduced from 50 to 30%. Obesity and overweight contribute to a lot of health problems.

14 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Not only does my CPAP control the apneas, it also keeps me in the sleep stages for the appropriate amount of time.  I was having virtually no REM sleep and was spending way too much time in stage 2 before the CPAP.  It's amazing how using a CPAP balanced all of that out. 

Thats that part that SUCKS when you are undiagnosed. You sleep and sleep, and yet feel like nothing is happening. 

15 minutes ago, Vync said:

@mb76 Welcome to Hadit!

As @brokensoldier244th indicated knowing a bunch of skinny people on CPAP machines, I'm one of those borderline people - not thin, not heavy. He's correct about the CPAP helping with other conditions like reflux. I also have chronic sinusitis/rhinitis. That CPAP machine helps to keep my sinuses open while I sleep. Even if I lost more weight and ended up not actually needing to wear it from an apnea perspective, I probably would continue to wear it to keep my sinuses open.

When I had my sleep studies, they started me off without the mask to determine if I was having apneas. After they noticed them happening, they put the mask on and the number dropped.

My machine is a Philips Dreamstation and I connected it to my phone via Bluetooth. In the app, I can produce a report showing the number of apneas (AHI) for each night. Sometimes I have very few, other times I have a bunch. My machine does call into the VA daily to report the previous night's results, so I don't have to bring in the SD card and have it read every six months. 

If the VA wanted to reduce you, it may be due to non-compliance if you are not using the machine as prescribed.

Id love to have one of those, but my Resemed won't die. Ive had it almost 10 yrs. Pretty good for a durable medical device. Ive only had to replace the humidifier pan once. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I can't say for sure but what caused me to get OSA ? but  after VA diagnosed with chronic PTSD they gave me certain medications  to take and sleep meds as well.

I don't take naps during the day because I stop breathing ,  so my  VA therapist mention this to the VA  MH  Phyistrist  and I had to go see her and she ordered a sleep study by the va  VA could not do it in a timely manner  so they out sourced me to a private sleep study...the results was I has moderate OSA and required  the use of a C-PAP Machine  the VA Diagnose me for OSA but never said why?

Anyway VA had me to come to the sleep clinic and pick up a new C-PAP Machine and a class to learn how to use the machine and the maintenance and cleaning.

This was over 5 years ago...and I have not filed a claim for Sleep Apnea  or OSA.

.I need to file a claim  secondary to my PTSD but it maybe to late to file being it was over 5 years ago?

..I do not want to go though all that stuff anymore sleep studys and show evidence of what the Dr mention that my sleep apnea is likely as not caused by me medications I take For Chronic PTSD prescribe by the VA..

.the only reason I mention this to my VA Therapist  my wife said I snore and some time stop breathing  She wakes me up and tells me I stopped breathing  and it scared the living daylights out of her...so I mention it to my therapist.

not sure I could still get service connected for it? I still use the C-pap And get the supplies from the VA Sleep clinic.

Do you guys think I should file?   this would be in case I die from it  because no more $$in the pot for me   just be to service connect it.