VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Excellent video about how Covid has affected veterans C & P exam.

6 answers to this question

Still waiting to hear about mine being scheduled to receive my rating which was granted by BVA in February.  I keep seeing people posting about getting their C&P exam done and getting scheduled, but nothing but crickets for me.  It'd be comical if I hadn't just spent a full week in bed last month and off work.  I guess there's no rush to provide a rating, it's more important to schedule C&P exams for people with P&T status.

Well, I just called both LHI and Peggy.  LHI still can't get my exams scheduled and Peggy says the exams are what's holding up my claim.  I also have a higher level review to correct effective dates on a recent grant of claims that I filed back in 2010.  I had requested an informal conference for the HLR and Peggy says that it was supposed to be completed by June 6.  

I asked an old co-worker from my VA days who is a rater now and he says that there is a huge backlog in exams for all of the contractors and the VAMC.  I also think I read or heard somewhere that the exams backlog has gone from 100,000 to 300,000 since this pandemic began.  

It's unfortunate but we're going to be waiting a while for our ratings.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@deedub75 and @jonnyohio,

Some exams can actually be performed over the phone and others require in-person examination. I seem to remember the VA recently pulling the public-facing DBQ's because they claimed to have a worldwide network of contracted personnel to perform C&P examinations. Due to the current situation, perhaps they should reconsider that plan and put them back out there.

For what it's worth, I had a heart exam one week ago. My claim was submitted back (on the correct form) in April 2020. A few days prior to the exam, I received a letter from LHI describing the deal and it had a special confirmation number, however it did not tell me the exact date/time the examiner would call. The LHI examiner contacted me over the phone, but did not need to do an in-person physical exam because I had a full work up and nuclear stress test done just before the coronavirus shut everything down. The examiner called me from a 202 number (Washington DC). The LHI examiner completed the DBQ and opinion and submitted it back to the VA on the same day. I was able to get the medical opinion details from my VSO earlier today. My LHI examiner also failed to follow the instructions provided the VA.

Unfortunately, mine have to be do in person. I call every week and they tell me they are trying to find an examiner. I think the VA has an exam backlog of around 300,000 when their normal inventory is around 100,000. 

Still waiting for a C&P exam to be scheduled.  I've heard nothing yet.  No changes to the status of my appeal in va.gov, no appointments scheduled in myhealthevet that I wasn't notified about.  I'm waiting until end of next month and then I'm going to start inquiring about the status.  I know they are behind, but this is quite a wait to be schedule for an exam.

UPDATE:  Just got contacted by LHI and they are working on scheduling my exam.  Now the next wait begins.

Edited by jonnyohio