VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Decision Packet Arrived

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

At the end of June, I noticed a claim had been opened for my SC’d PTSD, currently rated at 70%. 

Little background, I was rated at 70% for Major Depression back in 2010. I filed for TDIU and it was granted later that year. The VA re-examined the Major Depression in 2015. They changed my diagnosis to PTSD with Major Depression, but continued the 70% rating. IU remained intact. 

Fast forward to present day, the VA decided to reevaluate the PTSD (just shy of 5 years since my last C&P). I attended an exam, it went well. Doc was nice and made me feel comfortable, which was a relief because I hate going to those things. 

I received my packet yesterday with a decision. The C&P exam showed my symptoms had gotten worse, but not enough to warrant an increase. They continued my 70% rating and kept the IU intact. 

Here’s what did change: it states that I now qualify for basic eligibility to Ch. 35 benefits due to my disability being considered permanent and total. I was under the impression that you needed to be rated 100% scheduler to qualify for this, but apparently they consider TDIU P&T equivalent to the 100% scheduler rating in this regard. I did not know this and thought TDIU simply “paid the same rate as 100%.” 

There was no information regarding the need for future exams. In the past, there was always a closing sentence that stated I could be re-examined. Since they changed my status to P&T, does this negate the need for reexaminations in regards to the PTSD? Just not totally sure how this works. What I do understand is that if I opened a new claim or filed for an increase, a C&P would surely follow of course. 

Here’s another area that makes me uneasy. I have held off on filing secondary claims related to the PTSD, such as ED and IBS. I’ve also considered filing for tinnitus. But something tells me that I may be asking for trouble if I do so. Some have told me that because I’ve been granted 100% TDIU P&T that I shouldn’t worry about filing new claims in hopes of reaching scheduler status. These opinions are mixed, some say go for it, others say “don’t push it.”

While they are valid claims, not sure what I should do. The only benefit I see to scheduler, aside from dental, is that I could “work” with no income barriers and not have to worry about risking my benefits if I make too much. Currently, the little work I do is hobby- based and only nets a few thousand dollars a year. I file taxes every year showing this income. BUT, I do have ambitions toward expanding this into a small operation someday to earn a little extra income for an IRA. Retirement is one of my biggest fears. But at the same time, I don’t expect to be making anything beyond marginal income in this lifetime, regardless of an expansion. 

So much to think about...I suppose I should be grateful I’ve made it this far...I wish I could say my doubts, fears, etc have dwindled, but unfortunately, I feel no different. As we all know, the VA plays by their own rules after all. 

I WOULD like to say thank you to all those that helped me reach this point. I try to help others on this site as a way of giving back. This community has been a godsend to me for many years. 

God Bless, 

MarineLCpl

11 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

It wouldnt be 'wrong' it just would 'be'. You'd talk to the loan company first- they may have a process in place already. (https://www.wisebread.com/5-things-to-know-before-adding-someone-to-the-deed)

Once that is done then the house is your primary residence as well, you don't need to be sole deed holder. I did similar with my wife's car- I put myself on the loan at the time, knowing that I could then use my personal property exemption for a vehicle for her car, which was the new one. Call the County treasurer after the deed is finalized and recorded and find out what the process is for your county for the homestead exemption. 

Got it. I’ll mention it to her and see if she’s interested. When you say you used your wife’s vehicle, I’m assuming you meant sales tax relief? Is that something different? I wasn’t aware you could use the homestead exemption for a vehicle also...I do see that it can only be used once a year. 

3 minutes ago, MarineLCpl said:

Got it. I’ll mention it to her and see if she’s interested. When you say you used your wife’s vehicle, I’m assuming you meant sales tax relief? Is that something different? I wasn’t aware you could use the homestead exemption for a vehicle also...I do see that it can only be used once a year. 

It doesn't, Nebraska has a separate exemption for 1 vehicle for 100% veterans. I rarely drive, so I put myself on her car loan for the rare occasions when I do (her car was more comfortable for me to drive at the time, higher sitting, and more compact). Thus her care became the 'primary' vehicle. 

• HadIt.com Elder

MarineLCpl Add your name to the deed and get a change at the town or county tax office. At the same time put in for any additional tax benies from the town/state like maybe 100% tax exemption? In fact, check the states' website for disability benles also. You earned them, get them. As I tell people who are looking for VA disabilities: " They don't give VETERAN benefits to anyone but Veterans. So, if you have a benefit that is worthwhile to you and you have it coming, get it. Otherwise, they will drop it because no one uses it and you're hurting the next guy coming up that could use it.

I wasn’t award TDIU P&T granted dental services...that’s nice. Regarding the state benefit on property taxes, my fiancé currently owns the house we live in. From what I gather, it says the veteran must own the residence to qualify. Any direction on what can be done? I’m assuming if I have her add me to the deed, that would suffice? Or is that wrong? 

At the present COVID-19 time, I am not sure if the VAMC is making any kind of dental appointments.  You would have to contact your local VAMC. As for the property taxes, whatever you do just make it legal.

DENTAL TREATMENT
Veterans who have a permanent and total, service-connected disability may be entitled to free dental treatment. You may contact the nearest VA medical center for assistance.

19 hours ago, GBArmy said:

MarineLCpl Add your name to the deed and get a change at the town or county tax office. At the same time put in for any additional tax benies from the town/state like maybe 100% tax exemption? In fact, check the states' website for disability benles also. You earned them, get them. As I tell people who are looking for VA disabilities: " They don't give VETERAN benefits to anyone but Veterans. So, if you have a benefit that is worthwhile to you and you have it coming, get it. Otherwise, they will drop it because no one uses it and you're hurting the next guy coming up that could use it.

If it involves saving money, I’ll surely look into anything available. Retirement is a big fear of mine since I can’t contribute to an IRA with VA funds...something that needs to be addressed, the current regs are very outdated...

2 hours ago, pacmanx1 said:

At the present COVID-19 time, I am not sure if the VAMC is making any kind of dental appointments.  You would have to contact your local VAMC. As for the property taxes, whatever you do just make it legal.

DENTAL TREATMENT
Veterans who have a permanent and total, service-connected disability may be entitled to free dental treatment. You may contact the nearest VA medical center for assistance.

Yeah, I wasn’t aware of that at all...it really is good news. And I think you’re right..I have had several appts cancelled this year due to covid.