VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD re-evaluation

Rate this question

Lizette

Question

I received my rating for PTSD in 2017.  I recently got a call to schedule an evaluation for PTSD.  I'm assuming they're checking to see if my symptoms have gotten any better.  Is there anything I need and/or should do to prepare for this (ie documentation).  I get so uncomfortable having to talk about things to a stranger.

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think its just a normal  2 YEAR C&P Exam.

to see if your PTSD has been worse since your last evaluation ,so take your medical records from your VA M.H. clinic  from your Dr and your Therapist,  if they show your PTSD GOT WORSE then apply for an increase, if its about the same  then  just go to this C&P and answer all the examiners questions honestly .

if he/she says hello how are you today  just say how you feel  ,*do not say you feel fine* just answer that question like it was one of your worst days,   but be yourself do not act or be untruthful to the examiner , just answer all his /her questions the best you can and if he/she ask a question you can't answer or is confusing to you  just simple say you don't know.  its ok to be nervous  because your anxiety will more than likely be higher than a kite ...the examiner knows this.so try to get through this exam the best you can  if you need to excuse yourself and breath in and breath out  or what your therapist has taught you to do to help suppress your anxiety  please do it and let the examiner know you have learn to do this from your therapist  it helps with your high anxiety your currently having. if the examiner ask you on a scale from 1-to-10 how high would you rate your anxiety   just say what you think it is  like a 9 or 10.  your out of your natural environment and the examiner should know this.

Remember this  is a PTSD evaluation to see if you have improved or you have got worse.  if you show your PTSD got worse an INCREASE should be granted & more likely with P&T ,

And Always be able to back up what you tell this examiner  and you do that with medical records.

This exam is to see if your PTSD and shown Improvement  with medical records &ASK YOU SOME QUESTIONS   or if your PTSD AS GOT WORSE, again they will be looking on the computer and reading your medical records  as to what the Psychiatrist and your therapist has mention AND PUT IN YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS  so you may want to get copy's of these records before your C&P Exam,

..if you use the private medical sector then they will check those records too if you have oked to share them with the VA,?:

,If not then they will use your VAMC Medical Records.

What ever you do please do not miss this exam.

Good Luck

Edited by Buck52

I too was recently called in for a PTSD reexamination. I shared the same fears you have right now, but in reality, it went well. I was very nervous, anxious..but fortunately, the examiner provided a safe, comfortable environment for us. Just go in there and be brutally honest about your symptoms, don’t leave anything out. As buck mentioned, describing your worst day is common..it gives the examiner a look at the true severity of your limitations. At the same time, be concise with your answers; try not to drag any one story out for too long. You want the examiner to accurately document any and all current symptoms in the allotted time. Most of these re-evaluations don’t last beyond 45-60 min in general, so you can’t afford to ramble on. The doc is there to get a snapshot of your current symptoms and severity level, THATS ALL. They are not there to diagnose you, you’ve already been diagnosed. 

If it eases your mind any, the chances of the doc bringing up stressors is very slim. It’ll more than likely be DBQ style paperwork paired with conversation about your daily life. They want to hear about your current day-to-day, how your disabilities affect you in daily life, how relationships with friends/family are going, etc. Again, just be honest and don’t exaggerate. But at the same time, be aggressive with the details. I wish you the best, please keep us posted along the way! 

Bless, 

MarineLCpl 

It helps if you prepare.  You need to have an answer to:

"How are you today, Veteran?"

If you give the classic, "Im fine, how are you?" Then you will be back pedaling the whole hour.  Instead, give your "worst day".  Example:

"Im much better than last Thursday.  (insert your worst day).  I woke up with PTSD and (now describe your worst day). Fully describe what happened on your worst PTSD Day.  If you were thrown in jail by the police, so state.  If you stayed home from work and cried, then so state.   Of course, be honest, but this is not the time to be private.  You have given up privacy with VA when you accept benefits.  They get to know "EVERYTHING" about you, in detail.  More than your mother.  If you tell them there is nothing wrong, you are fine, expect your benefts to be lowered.  

After all, if you tell the doctor "no symptoms", then they would guess you are cured.  They dont put up video cameras in your home, they have to rely on what you tell them.   

Edited by broncovet