VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Help/advice

Rate this question

MarineDog

Question

I filed for SSD in Nov 04 at the onset of my disability. I was approved for disibility from the VA in Nov 05 for 80% SC (50% depression, 50% migraine headache, 10% foot injury and 20% for hip arthritis of hip). I was also awarded TDIU and Chap 25 Benefits. I was denided SSD for the first time (as most are) and hired an attorney, Binder and Binder. I am in a stage RTO (ready to schedule) and my hearing is coming up this month or next. I have no idea of what to expect at all.

I have read here about something called an adj or alj, what is that? What will happen in the hearing? I have plenty of medical evidence showing that I have tried to commit sucide landing me in a mental hospital for 4 days, my shrink has filled out several of the mental questionnaires, all agree with the VA in that I am unable to preform any job, I am extremely depressed and I am bi-polar. Will I have to speak at this hearing or will my attorney do that?

Also, I read here about about retro pay and I am very comfused. I was given a figure by the lady at the SS office when I first applied. Some of you say that SS will only pay 12 months or retro while others say it will be based upon the onset date of my disibility. Any advice here will be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Todd:

If you hired an Attorney let them do the work and follow their advice. I don't think that you have much to worry about.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

if it is approved they will pay you back to when you filed what did you say Nov 04 and what was the date you quit working? there is a 6 month rule where they don't pay for the first 6 months of disability but all in all you have a good sized back pay check coming you lawyer will handle most of the talking you maybe asked some questions by the ALJ it stands for Administrative Law Judge the only thing they judge is SS disability cases though

• HadIt.com Elder

And, trust me, Binder & Binder will get as much as you possibly can from the SSA.

Their fee is based on your recovery.

Semper Fi!