VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Worth using ChampVA as secondary?

MarineLCpl

Question

My fiancé(soon to be wife) has insurance through work as a nurse. I was recently granted P&T status and now qualify for it. I was wondering what benefit there is to putting her on ChampVA after we get married, if any. 

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It is fantastic. Call their hotline for details about the specifics and get the forms filled out so they can be mailed when you get married.

We have other private health insurance as primary. My wife and kids use CHAMPVA as a secondary payer. We go to in-network providers and generally do not have any co-pays for office visits or medications. They don't cover every possible provider or medication, but so far it has saved us a small fortune. My son was born two months early and we didn't have to pay anything for delivery or spending a month in the NICU.

Are you asking if she should keep her insurance from her job and use CHAMPVA as secondary? 

If she keeps her private insurance and sign up for CHAMPVA the CHAMPVA will automatically become secondary.  She wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket other than the premiums for her primary insurance.  If she drops her private insurance and opts for CHAMPVA only, she will to pay 20% out of pocket since CHAMPVA covers 80%.  

I retired from the federal government last year on a disability retirement so I was able to keep my private insurance through them.  My wife and children are covered by both the private insurance and CHAMPVA.  I had bad experiences with the VAMC so I get all of my healthcare through private doctors.  I go to the VAMC for my allergist and CPAP equipment.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I am fairly sure  that she needs to use her Insurance and ChampVA would be her secondary  with her insurance that would usually pay 80% depending on her policy./.and ChampVA would pay the remaining 20%

If She was on SSDI then ChampVA would pay the remaining 20%  so with ChampVA theres should be no co-pays.

IF  SHE HAS NO PRIVATE INSURANCE THEN CHAMP VA WOULD PAY 80% AND SHE WOULD NEED TO COVER THE REMAINING 20%

Note* when applying for ChampVA be sure and let them know ChampVA does have the (ERB)''electronic receipts  Billing'' most place won't take your insurance without it  ChampVA  has that also.Electronic Billing is what it means.

I 'd definitely sign her up for ChampVA   YOU GOT P&T and your now qualified for ChampVA

Use all your military benefit's.

If you own your home or you guys purchase a home in the future  be sure and use your 100% P&T STATUS FOR YOUR PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION  ITS A GREAT BENEFIT.  JUST TAKE YOUR AWARD LETTER  OR PRINT OFF YOUR STATUS LETTER AND TAKE TO YOUR LOCAL TAX APPRAISAL OFFICE ASK FOR  HOME STEAD AND THE PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION...IT SAVES YOU $$$ AND REDUCES YOUR MORTGAGEE PAYMENT  AND MAKES IT MORE ECONOMICAL TO BUY A NICER HOUSE BECAUSE IT REDUCES YOUR HOUSE PAYMENTS WITH NOT HAVING TO PAY THESE PROPERTY TAX.

BTW=CONGRATULATION ON GETTING MARRIED.

Edited by Buck52

Dont even consider "not" getting Champva.  She may not work at that job forever, even tho she may have been there for years.  My wife worked as a nurse at 3 hospitals...all 3 were closed or bought out.  That can happen again.  

Champva is the best insurance you cant buy.