VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buddy letters from former supervisors that fired me?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

A few years ago, at different times, I worked for two different local government employers. I got canned from both during my probationary periods for being overzealous at particular job aspects. I have a dx of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, rated at 50%, and I think I was so worried about doing my job that I went too far. My questions for you: will one or more Statements In Support Of Claim from former supervisors help me with my claim for a rating increase? Is overzealousness (not sure of the wording) a symptom of anxiety? How should I go about asking my former supervisors? I don't want them to think that I am trying to sue them (I'm not trying to sue them).

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

mb76 If you're rated at 50%  and trying to get tdiu after an increase, sure, you can try and get a letter. You have to make your former boss understand that the letter has to be specific about your short comings on what your behavior was. The gov't (VA)  will be asking them to be truthful. The problem is that in today's sue-me world, personnel will probably advise him to keep it plain vanilla because the company could be sued. It has evolved by trying to say you weren't such a bad employee, often the former employers end up minimizing your symptoms. If you could talk to the former boss and explain that even if he won't provide a letter directly, it could help your case.

I think the term you are looking for is hyper vigilence. I had a good relationship with my boss when I left my former job under FMLA and ended up filing for IU (at the time- eventually that claim just went from 80 to 100, no IU) 6 yrs ago. I had him fill out the 8940, honestly, based on how my work had suffered in the two years that he knew me. He was former CAF-Army so that helped immensely as far as understanding where I was coming from and what I was applying for, that I want gathering ammo. He was frank and no bullshit, and he knew me socially a bit, also. Being an observant manager he picked up on things I wouldn't have thought to describe. 

Dont going through HR. If you don't have a really good relationship with them they probably won't. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th