VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living Plan (12 months)

Rate this question

Ocean

Question

Hello,

I have been working with an independent living counselor through the VA. A lot of what they are offering seems very basic and I am not impressed. My counselor has only had one brief phone conversation with me, and even though she was kind, I have only gotten two emails since. It is pretty obvious I am just a number. My issue is that it is really hard to find information on this program and the only other place where people listed what they got is old and outdated.

I dont want anything crazy like a greenhouse, a knife making set of machines, or a boat. I dont think they are focusing on me doing a project or getting involved with the community, which is fine, but this just seems like something that was copy pasted and not unique to my situation. I also dont want it to seem like I just have my hand out, I was really hoping this would be more comprehensive. 

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Objective One:

Maximize ability to do daily living activities easier, safer, and more independently

Long handled scrub

Long handled shoehorn

Grab bars (4)

Shower chair (2)

Bidet adapter for toilet (2)

Versa Rails (2)

Objective Two:

Maximize ability to do home activities easier, safer, and more independently

Reacher
Sock Aid
Office Chair
Shower Cane

Objective Three:

Veteran will be aware of and use Ch-31 services in order to successfully complete the program

Wow,  I was in ILP and it should be unique to each individual and their disabilities.  They should also be coming to your home (didn't happen in mine either)  but I fought like the dickens to get most of the things I needed to make my quality of life better.   I did have to get a letter for every single item I requested from one of my providers and how it would help me, ridiculous but  it didn't have to be my VA providers necessarily and I finally had an outside provider just sign off on things because my VA primary care doctor wouldn't even sign that I wasn't employable, she said that is obvious you are on ss and 100% pt I am not writing anything to say what is clearly obvious.    I received a roomba, a stationary recumbent bike, a tablet (my choice, I had a choice or that or a laptop), wireless, bluetooth, noise canceling headphones,  a Vitamix blender, a mat to protect my floors from the recumbent bike, a large weighted blanket, I already had a shower chair (you can get those from OT or PT anytime you need a new one fyi, and photography equipment for my hobby.  I may have received other items but every item I received was directly related to a service connected disabilty and one of my providers or two wrote a letter and even for my hobby two wrote that it was a hobby that was something I could do with my current disabilities and what equipment would be needed, etc.  Sounds like you have a winner of a counselor.  Sad. Considering how few veterans are allowed into ILP each year, they should be making sure that they are helping you with everything they can to live the most independently as possible.  I would suggest getting together a list of things that would help you with YOUR disabilities, there are many things you probably have not even thought about. You aren't asking for the moon and consider the fact that the VA isn't paying for 4 plus years of education, books, fees, etc. they are paying for your life to be a tad bit easier.  It is the least they can to for veterans who are at a point they are past the point they can be employable and are eligible for ILP.

3 hours ago, seminoles said:

Wow,  I was in ILP and it should be unique to each individual and their disabilities.  They should also be coming to your home (didn't happen in mine either)  but I fought like the dickens to get most of the things I needed to make my quality of life better.   I did have to get a letter for every single item I requested from one of my providers and how it would help me, ridiculous but  it didn't have to be my VA providers necessarily and I finally had an outside provider just sign off on things because my VA primary care doctor wouldn't even sign that I wasn't employable, she said that is obvious you are on ss and 100% pt I am not writing anything to say what is clearly obvious.    I received a roomba, a stationary recumbent bike, a tablet (my choice, I had a choice or that or a laptop), wireless, bluetooth, noise canceling headphones,  a Vitamix blender, a mat to protect my floors from the recumbent bike, a large weighted blanket, I already had a shower chair (you can get those from OT or PT anytime you need a new one fyi, and photography equipment for my hobby.  I may have received other items but every item I received was directly related to a service connected disabilty and one of my providers or two wrote a letter and even for my hobby two wrote that it was a hobby that was something I could do with my current disabilities and what equipment would be needed, etc.  Sounds like you have a winner of a counselor.  Sad. Considering how few veterans are allowed into ILP each year, they should be making sure that they are helping you with everything they can to live the most independently as possible.  I would suggest getting together a list of things that would help you with YOUR disabilities, there are many things you probably have not even thought about. You aren't asking for the moon and consider the fact that the VA isn't paying for 4 plus years of education, books, fees, etc. they are paying for your life to be a tad bit easier.  It is the least they can to for veterans who are at a point they are past the point they can be employable and are eligible for ILP.

Thank you for the reply. I really dont know what I need and a lot what the 'field counselor' and I discussed over the phone is missing from the plan.

I was wanting a physical therapy table so my spouse could help me at home, when I cant get to physical therapy (stretching, soft tissue massage, tensunit, etc).

I let them know I can't do chores around the house, I cant cook, and I didnt want a couch cane as I am not comfortable on the couch. Instead of looking for alternatives it just seems like they put a line through everything. I saw some people say they got a massage chair which seems a bit over the top expense wise, I didnt have the courage to ask for one. 

It would be nice to have noise canceling headphones for thunderstorms or during firework season. Or something to dull the similar sounds of combat. I dont have a hobby and was kind of wishing they would help me discover one, but thats fine.

My biggest daily issues revolve around PTSD, partial paralysis, migraines, and chronic pain in the entire spine. Can anyone think of anything I should request?                  

41 minutes ago, Ocean said:

Thank you for the reply. I really dont know what I need and a lot what the 'field counselor' and I discussed over the phone is missing from the plan.

I was wanting a physical therapy table so my spouse could help me at home, when I cant get to physical therapy (stretching, soft tissue massage, tensunit, etc).

I let them know I can't do chores around the house, I cant cook, and I didnt want a couch cane as I am not comfortable on the couch. Instead of looking for alternatives it just seems like they put a line through everything. I saw some people say they got a massage chair which seems a bit over the top expense wise, I didnt have the courage to ask for one. 

It would be nice to have noise canceling headphones for thunderstorms or during firework season. Or something to dull the similar sounds of combat. I dont have a hobby and was kind of wishing they would help me discover one, but thats fine.

My biggest daily issues revolve around PTSD, partial paralysis, migraines, and chronic pain in the entire spine. Can anyone think of anything I should request?                  

I have severe migraines, very severe as well as PTSD and I requested the noise canceling blue tooth headphones for both my migraines and my ptsd, I use them to listen to audiobooks when I cannot do anything else when I have a really bad migraine for days and I am awake but also for the noise canceling for my migraines and my ptsd, I went with  really great pair, you have to be very specific or they will buy you cheap crap.  I also asked for a tablet to use for emailing, texting, etc. because I don't go out much at all, and to use for my audibooks, I didn't want a laptop just a tablet and I picked out a nice one that would do everything I needed.  I am not an apple person so I picked a Samsung one.  I have balance issues so that is why I requested the roomba, I have a service dog (VA covers his care) and holy dog hair batman, it runs every night.  LIFE SAVER!!  I have severe TMJ which makes it very difficult to eat solid food many days, so the Vitamix blender makes soups, smoothies, etc and is amazing.  They did send me the lower model on that which sucked but I just purchased the additional pieces I needed.  I need to exercise and can't anymore safely so I needed the recumbent bike and a stationary one is far cheaper (and I live in Florida) so too hot most of the time for my service dog to be biking with me.  It really comes down to what your service connected disabilites are and what you have issues with doing and what things can make your life easier or be done for you like the roomba. I hope that helps. 

I know my psychologist wants me to burn energy as having it causes more problems with PTSD. Same thing with the headphones, I know there is a lot of stuff I can listen to, like ambient nature sounds, that would be a huge help. Thank you!