Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Lemuel

Has the rate of backpay ever been challenged?

Question

Has anyone ever challenged the rate of Backpay?  I received back pay at 100% TDIU after living in poverty on my in-laws for almost 40 years.  When the Fifth was ratified, the U S was on the Gold Standard.  When Section 4 of the Fourteenth was ratified we were still on the gold standard.

The argument would be that by paying veterans in cheaper prior year dollars the Government is taking property (gold equivalent or goods and services out of our shopping baskets) without just compensation, a right guaranteed under the Fifth and Fourteenth Sec. 4 (specifically to veterans) Amendments.

My 07/06/2020 award would be a good example.  If paid in current dollars it would be over $300,000.00 more.  Enough to have bought a house instead of living on the street in DC.

They already account for CPI every year, and they pay based on what it would have been the year it was retroactively awarded. I don't think you are going to find traction with this argument. Sec 4 of the 14th amendment specifically limits it to "insurrection or rebellion", neither of which apply to you. The rest of the 14th, while it mentions deprivation of property, it also says without "due process of law". VA pay is subject to existing law and is apportioned as such. The 5th deals with double jeopardy and criminal conviction- what does that have to do with retroactive veteran pay? 

• Like 1

I agree with you Lemeul.  In contract law, "Time is of the essence".  They have to get the job done WHEN they promise.  

VA's delays, at the Veterans expense, because they can.  

Its financially beneficial to the VA to delay your claim as long as possible:

1.  They "delay until we die" isnt just made up, many Veterans do die waiting on benefits.  "Unless" their heirs know to file a "substitution of claimant" in a timely manner, the claim dies with the Veteran, and his heirs never get paid.  Result:  The VA saves money with delays.  

2.  "Even when" the Veteran prevails and wins benefits, its paid to the Veteran at deflated dollars of yesteryear, and, of course, "0" interest is due to the Veteran.  However, if Veterans are late on payments (for any reason) we are charged penalties and interest.  Try not paying your taxes on time, and see what the IRS says about "0" interest and zero penalties.  I will save you the trouble:  NO.  The Veteran must pay interest and penalties on any taxes owed, if not paid timely.  

For reasons above, The VA has a "financial incentive" to delay your claim as long as possible.  As long as this financial incentive exists, the delays continue unabated.  

Again, its only fair.  We have to pay interest and late fees on payments we owe, why not on those owed us?  

Posted (edited)

The VA "gets away with this" because they have 500 lawyers on staff and we cant afford to fight them, up to , and including the SCOTUS.  

You may be the guy to challenge them on this.  File a nod, appeal it, (because retro was paid in deflated dollars without interest.)  Then take it to the board, after denial.  

Then appeal the board denial, and the cavc denial, and, likely federal circuit denial.  

Maybe Mr. Ken Carpenter can help you.  

Edited by broncovet

You are also not being taxed on any of it-ever. Pretty sure that would eclipse any interest that might have accrued if you were taxed on it at whatever bracket it would fall into at the time its deposited and had to pay that, too, along with the yearly taxes continuing forward. 

1 hour ago, brokensoldier244th said:

They already account for CPI every year, and they pay based on what it would have been the year it was retroactively awarded. I don't think you are going to find traction with this argument. Sec 4 of the 14th amendment specifically limits it to "insurrection or rebellion", neither of which apply to you. The rest of the 14th, while it mentions deprivation of property, it also says without "due process of law". VA pay is subject to existing law and is apportioned as such. The 5th deals with double jeopardy and criminal conviction- what does that have to do with retroactive veteran pay? 

1. The fact that they account for CPI every year since? only holds to the fact there is a value difference in todays dollars and yesterdays.

2.  Fifth Amendment--in part, "nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation."

3.  Fourteenth Amendment, Sec. 4, in part after the stiffing of the Revolutionary War veterans, the War of 1812 veterans, the public was demanding a change which is included with the separation of rebels from federal veterans,  "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."

My argument is simply that if you take four eggs from my shopping basket that I would have had if you paid that debt that, "shall not be questioned" you have run afoul of the "private property taken for public use without just compensation."

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jamezam
      Hello everyone,
      I just received an increase to 50% for my migraine headaches (Thank you Dr. Valette) in June 2020 and TDIU in July, effective date for both is March 11, 2014.
      My questions are:
      1. Am I correct that the VA subtracts the amount I was rated at in 2014 from the total amount of my migraine/TDIU retroactive pay?
      2. What do I do, if no matter how I calculate my retro (calculated using past VA Compensation charts and a few online back pay calculators) the VA past-due is amount is wrong?
    • By SPO
      So I found out that I was increased from 80% to 90%,  (aside from the fact that this should have been 100%), I have issues with the amount of back pay.  They gave me my effective date all the way back to 11/2018, but miscalculated.  From 11/2018 until 03/2020 I was 70%, from 3/2020 until now I was 80%.  They are saying the owe 1/2 the back pay they should.  My rough estimate says they used 80% for the calculation all the way back.  How can I have them fix this?
    • By TominTucson
      I’m currently waiting on 5 deferred claims all of which are now on Preparation for decision. If anyone of them are rated 10% but they don’t raise my overall rating. Do I still get backpay for that claim ? Or only if the overall rating is increase ? Thanks
    • By Sherminater
      Hello fellow Vets!
      I recognize it’s a lot to read... It’s my first time making a blog post and I want to be clear and get solid and knowledgable responses from y’all. Thanks in advance!!
      History... Filed a claim for VA disability benefits April 2013. Hand delivered over 200 documents in support of my claim to the Houston VA office in January 2014 (prior to a decision letter on my claim). Decision letter received in March 2014. Failed to achieve a rating above zero percent on any of the disabilities claimed and no service connection for Major Depressive Disorder(MDD). 
      The documents I filed at the VA were date stamped Jan 8, 2014 and included the only records I had in support of this claim, especially for the MDD.

Fast forward... Intent to File submitted in August 1, 2018 (at my attorneys direction). His office then submitted a supplemental (including 16 pages of the very same supporting documents that I submitted to the VA in 2014) on the 364th day. 

Well,  that supplemental got me appointments with two different C&P professionals and resulted in a combined rating of 70% (10% knee and 70% MDD) effective July 30, 2019. The same VA documents filed by me in 2014 and (fewer) mailed with the supplemental were recently reviewed at my C&P exam by the psychologist conducting the interview. He asked for my help to show him any document in my file that made it clear and unmistakable that my MDD was/is service connected. It took all of thirty seconds to search his computer with my VA records on it to locate a document from my psychiatrist and head of psychiatry at my last duty station. These are the very same documents which were in the VA’s possession prior to my initial claim attempted in 2013/2014. Meaning there is NO new or compelling evidence!
      Question 1 - So why did they schedule (allow) these appointments and the case to be reopened with no new and/or relevant evidence? 
      Question 2 - Why was it right (or was it) for my attorney to file a supplemental (vs. just filing for a new claim)? At least with a new claim I may have been able to receive (the 11 or so months of) backpay from the Intent to File date.
      It seems the supplemental has NO benefit over just requesting to open a new claim. Or is it not allowed for veterans to file a new claim for any previously claimed ailment(s)?
      Question 3 - Is it a fact that the VA made a clear and unmistakable error with regard to no service connection for MDD?
      ... by not reviewing those documents which were right in front of them? And if the documents prove the date they were filed, isn’t it undeniable? And if I am now rated at 70%....
      Question 4 - Shouldn’t this be one of those CUE cases that should/could be potentially won for backpay to April 2013?
      This is the first time they scheduled me for ANY C&P appointments for any reason ever. Yet, this is at least the third attempt at filing a VA disability claim.

Question 5 - What makes the VA decide for or against these C&P exam appointments?

• By wangotango
      Hey all, I recieved news that my increase claim was granted and I went from 60% to 100%
      On my ab8 letters it says the date changed is may 20th, with an effective date of june 1st. Does this mean I'll receive the backpay for june and july?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 3 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 4 replies
    • VA has a special where we can ask questions TODAY, at 3:00 to "people that matter?"  Someone should ask why we can not ask them questions EVERY day, why today only? (This is a big problem with VA..the 800 number often does not give specific answers).  We should have people in VA who "solve Vets problems" like Allison Hickey did a few years ago. 
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines