VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Retroactive Questions...

Rate this question

Jamezam

Question

Hello everyone,

I just received an increase to 50% for my migraine headaches (Thank you Dr. Valette) in June 2020 and TDIU in July, effective date for both is March 11, 2014.

My questions are:

1. Am I correct that the VA subtracts the amount I was rated at in 2014 from the total amount of my migraine/TDIU retroactive pay?

2. What do I do, if no matter how I calculate my retro (calculated using past VA Compensation charts and a few online back pay calculators) the VA past-due is amount is wrong?

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jamezam You subtract your old rate from your new rate times the number of months per year. You have to look up each year's new rates of course. For example say you went from 30% to 50%,so lets say in 2014 30% was  $300 a month but 50% was $600. So the difference is $300 x 9 months for that year. Lets say in 2015 30% increases to $310 and 50% increases to $531. Now the differences is $221 x 12 months, etc. As for how, many veterans will submit a HLR for EED and for incorrect back pay. You could also submit an IRIS request

26 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Jamezam You subtract your old rate from your new rate times the number of months per year. You have to look up each year's new rates of course. For example say you went from 30% to 50%,so lets say in 2014 30% was  $300 a month but 50% was $600. So the difference is $300 x 9 months for that year. Lets say in 2015 30% increases to $310 and 50% increases to $531. Now the differences is $221 x 12 months, etc. As for how, many veterans will submit a HLR for EED and for incorrect back pay. You could also submit an IRIS request

That’s what I thought and that’s what I did. I went back to the effective date (2014) and calculated each year’s rates and deducted my rating at the time. The VA appears to be off by $40k in my favor. 

Guess I’ll look up the HLR for EED process. Thanks GBArmy…