VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Claims6 Reasons to Keep Pursuing VA Claims and Appeals – AFTER you reach 100%

Rate this topic

John999, you are correct. There are many situation where VA will try to reduce a veteran's rating. In my research I found that this type of error is sometimes corrected at the higher level and called Mischaracterization of the issue on Appeal.  In this particular situation the veteran filed for an increase and instead of granting the veteran's rating, the VARO decided to reduce his rating causing the veteran to appeal. So in my opinion the veteran would have to appeal to get this corrected.

• HadIt.com Elder

Considering the VA as an employer does illegal things to employees, it’s not a stretch to think that they would be unscrupulous with veterans. The attitude that I observed towards veterans was mind blowing. Now the medical people tend to be better, but people in desk jobs often never see veterans.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, McRay said:

Seems there is a lot of jealousy and resentment concerning VA disability benefits.

I didn't notice that so much at the VAMC where I worked, but it does appear they are on guard for vets gaming the system. 

Oh, yes, Rivet62.  I was reading where, for example, VA audioligists are trained in finding Vets who may be faking a hearing loss to get benefits.  

One way:  They repeat a test.  It would be tough for you to repeat faked results...How would you know which sounds you pretended not to hear last exam?  The 30 db, 20db, 70 hz, etc?  The answer is you wouldnt.  

You dont ever want to fake any exam results on hearing or anything else.  And be very careful to not exaggerate your symptoms.  

ONE way VA burns Vets, your doc may ask you, "when did you first notice (your symptoms)?  Gee, I dont remember, it was probably last year.  

So, you go to another doc, much later.  You remember, that you hurt your self on a 4th of July picnic.  So, you tell the doc the 4th of july (20xx).  

O, boy.  Were you gaming the system?  Probably not.  But you really need to be consistent in what you say, any inconsistency such as harmlessly forgeting a date, then your wife reminds you, "Remember when you hurt your knee on the 4th of July picnic?"  

Oh, yea, I did do that, gee, I guess I was drunk and did not recall.  

I hate that they try to burn Vets on inconsistent dates.  I really dont remember "dates"...

What date did you fall and hurt yourself?  Oh, it was a few days ago...

Your wife, who sometimes remembers the dates of everything, then corrects you:  It was almost 3 weeks ago..on Christmas eve.  

So, next time you tell the doc, "yea, I fell on Christmas eve".  

Hmmm..gee, last time you told us you fell "a few days before Jan 11", now its Christmas eve..

FACT:  If 3 people tell exactly the same story of an event, its probably "scripted".  

In reality, for example, when JFK was shot, dozens of witnesses (with no reason to lie) teachers, doctors, etc...reported different numbers of shots fired, and different locations where the shots sound was coming from!  

These people were likely telling the truth, but they recalled different things..Oh, gee, I dont recall what color dress Jackie Kennedy was wearing.  

But your wife, who is a clothes nut, payed attention to her dress and could describe how many flowers were on it.  So she mentions that to you, and, when asked again, you say it was white with yellow flowers.  

I have had about 5 audio exams..over a period of 19 years or so..by 5 different examiners..in 2 different states.  

They are not all the same, but they are consistent.  My hearing loss gradually got worse.  

I made sure I was honest, and, if they order another exam, it will be consistent with the others.  So, I dont worry about reductions.  

Of course, I can hear better in some settings than others.  Some people have very loud, bold voices.  I can hear my pastor most of the time.  But I cant hear hardly any of my grandchildren no matter how many times they repeat or how loud they talk.  

I dont want to be rude, so I nod.  Then I ask my wife, "What did (grandchild) say?"

She talks in my ear and I can understand her..some of the time...when there are not loud noises, such as fan motors, or car noise.  Im very used to her voice, and I often extrapolate or guess what she says.  We have known each other more than 15 years, and I often know what she is gonna say, before she even says it...as she does for me.  

Edited by broncovet

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use