VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sciatica exam

Rate this question

SPO

Question

While I wait for an appeal on some other matters I am starting a bilateral sciatica claim secondary to arthritis in the lower back (just got service connected for the back).  I have to get some documentation together, but I am wondering what to expect in a c&p for sciatica.  It is pretty unpredictable when the worst of it will happen so I’m not sure how the exam will go, or what the doc will look for. 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Arthritis of the spine can cause a bone spur that abuts the sciatic nerve causing sciatica and radiculopathy. Do you have an MRI that shows this or do you have sciatica/radiculopathy diagnosis?

Once I finally got my back service connected, I was also granted 10% service connection for radiculopathy in each leg even though I didn’t file a claim for radiculopathy. I’ve had several MRIs and EMGs showing that I had impingement of the nerve as well as a diagnosis of radiculopathy. They can infer radiculopathy for back injuries, diabetes, etc. 

I have documentation of sciatic pain from arthritis ( it’s not true sciatica because it originates in the sacroiliac joint not the lumbar vertabrae, but it presents the exact same way) , need the doc to clarify the diagnosis before I submit.  I have only had xrays, no mri. I told the c&p doc about it during my back exam, but I don’t think she acknowledged what I said.

The va has me rated for psoriatic arthritis of the back (I filed for lower back/ sacroiliac). I have 1 rheumatologist mention sacroilitis, but is the way the va rated going to cause an issue since technically sacriolitis is caused by the arthritis (or at least a manifestation of) which then causes Radiculopathy.