VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How does CHAMPVA work

bionoce

Question

I’m 100% P&T and my son’s mom recently passed away. I now have to get him covered with health insurance and do not know how CHAMPVA works. Is it like regular health insurance? I don’t understand the cost sharing thing. Is there a co-pay? Thanks 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bionoce Here's the VA site, scroll down to frequently asked questions. Your son would have to be a minor, among other things.

Your 100% P & T award  should provide him the CHAMPVA benefit.

Those awards usually do not mention CHAMPVA, but do enclose Chapter 35 DEA applications or a link to them.

I have had CHAMPVA for almost 20 years. I have a co pay of 50 bucks a year on my meds, but if I ever chose to get VA meds by mail I would have no co pay.

I have the doctors of my choice and have never paid any medical Bills. Since I am a senior now, I do have Medicare A and B for many of those past years, and CHAMPVA is the kicker....which would be different for your son.of course- and as GBA correctly said, he would have to be a minor.

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/champva/

As I recall long ago , about 2 months after I received the posthumous 100% SC  P & T award regarding my dead husband, I received a letter from the VA telling me how to apply for CHAMPVA, but as far as I know, they do not enclose that info with any 100% P & T award.

In some cases the CHAMPVA can be retro- to the Entitlement Date of the 100% P & T.

These members had success with CHAMPVA retro benefits but it might hinge on whether your son' mother had him covered by other  health insurance:

I am very sorry for your loss. I used Chapter 35 for half of my degree and VA paid for it, until my entitlement date ran out.

When I succeeded in another VA claim, ( direct Service connected death) they reimbursed me as they had to give me a new entitlement date.Both of these benefits are wonderful.

12 hours ago, Berta said:

Your 100% P & T award  should provide him the CHAMPVA benefit.

Those awards usually do not mention CHAMPVA, but do enclose Chapter 35 DEA applications or a link to them.

I have had CHAMPVA for almost 20 years. I have a co pay of 50 bucks a year on my meds, but if I ever chose to get VA meds by mail I would have no co pay.

I have the doctors of my choice and have never paid any medical Bills. Since I am a senior now, I do have Medicare A and B for many of those past years, and CHAMPVA is the kicker....which would be different for your son.of course- and as GBA correctly said, he would have to be a minor.

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/champva/

As I recall long ago , about 2 months after I received the posthumous 100% SC  P & T award regarding my dead husband, I received a letter from the VA telling me how to apply for CHAMPVA, but as far as I know, they do not enclose that info with any 100% P & T award.

In some cases the CHAMPVA can be retro- to the Entitlement Date of the 100% P & T.

Berta thank you