VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increasing Narcolepsy Rating

Rate this question

scottishere99

Question

I have a few questions I'm looking at trying to increase my Narcolepsy rating and I'm trying to figure out what all i will need.   I already have 10 people that i work with whom are retired military and military members that have told me that they will write statements  to me falling asleep at work 5 to 7 times a day along with my wife's statement.  i was told that i dont need a Nexus letter when trying to increase a rating, so what would i have my Neurologist that's  been treating me the past 8 yrs. last question is when i was going through my VA appointment's (all done by civilian doctors) i had not noticed a mistake until last year, the mistake is when i was asked about the minor seizures i told the doctor i experience between 5 to 7  a day but last year i noticed that he had put 5 to 7 a week.  the difference from 40% to 80% disability.  I understand i should have reviewed the paperwork after receiving my disability letter in 2009, and I'm not looking to get back pay just want to get the rating i should have gotten with the right wording that should have been put in the report.  this is so confusing and i dont have the money for one of these law offices to take my case.  So I'm hoping with all the knowledge in this group i will at least get steered on the right track.

42 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

You send everything that supports your contention that supports a worsening of your symptoms. I assume you never submitted buddy letters before, so yes, your wife should and you especially; how does this effect your work, with others at work and socially. If you go for IU, you want to start to build evidence about your issues at work, family and others socially. How about people in general. Any issues  about staying employed because of all the time you lose? etc. maybe a couple more. !0 is overkill. Get your doc to comment on your now current conditions as they compare to higher ratings. How it affects you at work. sleep exam is good; does it support your position and was done by a certified tech or whatever? It might result in you not having to do it again for the VA. At least is is evidence that they have to consider. As you already know, if denied,they will say why and you go from there.

Not going for UI at this time.  Yes I need to set down and try to write a letter.  How many buddy letters should I send and should my neurologist write a letter also and if so what should she put in it.  I dont mean to bug you im just been waiting for my medical recordand its been over a year and a half.  I want to thank you and everyone else that are spending time helping me 

• HadIt.com Elder

I already answered both questions.You and your wife and maybe a couple more on buddy letters. If your doc can add to your evidence by commenting on your symptoms now meet a higher rating threshold, sure get that too. The more meaningful evidence the better. You said you weren't going for IU before. You're missing the point. If you are considering that as a future option, why not provide evidence of impact to work/social now to build that evidence ? It's like a game of chess; plan ahead.

Great advice from GBA and also- I noticed in the BVA decison above, that this veteran was unable to drive, due to the narocolepsy-so that could also be a factor if you ever apply for TDIU.

It will not be the strongest point you will need to make, but if one cannot drive that impacts on their ability to work and socialize.

It is great that your employer accommodates you.But one never knows when a company will change hands or change their managers or even change their policy on accommodations.

It's like a game of chess; plan ahead."

Indeed!!! You are right GBA!