VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA mortgage insurance

Rate this question

LeroyJohnson

Question

I have a question and I am not sure if I am posting in the correct forum  I am the wife of Leroy . he is no longer with us He committed suicide last month , he choose to do this in front of me. I not dealing with this very well  and dealing with the VA paperwork  has been  hard. The question I have is about mortgage insurance we had thru the VA.  Will they pay off the mortgage since it was suicide  He was service connected with 100% for PTSD, 100% for his heart, 100% lungs and 2 other 100% ratings along with about 10 other smaller ratings. He was P&T since 2003 for PTSD. He just had a C&P for TBI, he did not make his second C&P appointment they were still in the process of getting him that appointment when he left us. I received a phone call from a appeals office  asking me if I wanted to continue his claim, he said that he could not tell me what to do but hinted that I should pursue the claim .So I did fill out the form and sent it back in with his death certificate . I again received a call from the appeals office letting me know he got the paperwork and that he would adjudicate it as quickly as possible. In 2009 he had C&P for TBI in which they separated TBI from PTSD and stated that  both PTSD and TBI were severe .The C&P that he did this year the doctor  stated to him that he defiantly had both TBI and PTSD. Anyway I don't know if you needed all the above information to help answer my question but thought it might be helpful to you to give a more informed answer. Thank you for your time in this matter.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Mrs. Johnson we are very sorry for your loss. I'm sure others will chime in to help. Th VA rep probably asked you to fill out form 21P-534 which is for DIC (Dependency Indemnity Comp.) and you will get about $1100 a month if approved. If that wasn't the form, let us know. I can't answer your home loan question directly. Try 877-827-3702 which is a VA help line for VA Home Loans and they hopefully can provide info, or direct you to someone. I realize this is not a great tie to be dealing with paperwork, but timeliness on the lan stuff is important.

• HadIt.com Elder

I also should explain that the disability payments your husband was getting will stop; they were his and you are the survivor so they no longer apply. That is why DIC is so important. As you go on with this problem, please come back and ask and let us know; we are here to help.

yes I am aware that I will no longer receive his benefits  I was sent a letter four days after his death explaining what I would receive his check for the month of his death which I received this month and the letter also stated that I would be receiving  DIC in the amount of $1624.71  the letter stated that his status at time of death meets the criteria I did not have to send in the form for DIC. I also received the $2000.00 to help with his funerial  which I was very grateful for. Back in 2007 we lost our youngest son and when we paid for his funerial we also paid for Leroy mine and our remaining son's funerial.(we had just won and received accrued back pay on one of his claims) so we used the money to take care of all the funeral's so we  would not have to do that again  it is to hard to make all those arrangements when you are grieving anyway when I took all the paperwork I had for the funerals to transfer it all to where we now live  I was told that there was no money in the account that it was never turned into the life insurance company. The money for all three funeral's was embezzled ,the owner of the funerial home where we paid for the funeral's committed suicide last year after the police raided the funerial home. I was told that we were not the only ones that this happened to at least 45 other people who pre-paid got their money stolen as well. As far as I know the whole mess is still under investigation. So I am grateful that I was sent the death benefit money it has helped.

This explains the Mortgage Life Insurance program:

https://www.va.gov/life-insurance/options-eligibility/vmli/

But maybe the phone # GBA gave will be more helpful.

I am very sorry for your loss.I am a widow of two veterans. What happened to you at that funeral home is terrible!

I assume your husband was 100% P & T for at least 10 continuous years.Those claims for DIC should never take long and your claim didn't.

You were grieving over the loss of a son and here the funeral home took advantage of you and others.

Where do people like this come from? I wonder if the Estate of the funeral home owner is liable for the monetary losses.

thank you for your response . I don't know if I can recover any money from the estate. I was informed last week that his family has put the funeral home up for sale  and I was thinking of asking a lawyer if it might be possible to recover some or all the money plus lost interest  that would have paid the cost of a current funeral . It has been a hard month I buried him one month ago today on my birthday  Each day has been a struggle  to do what I need to do but I know in time things will begin to get better. I just worry the insurance wont pay off because it was a suicide .  He got his first 100% and P&T in 2003  so that is 17 years service connected  He also got A&A  at the same time.as I stated  he has five 100% awards  but was only paid at the "M" award rate I have tried for years to get them to change  his rate of pay  with no luck  and now  I guess that will never happen it was something  he was always wanting me to try and correct. thank you  for your time.