VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

decision review officer

Rate this question

Joey Ross

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I can only be guessing here but maybe a rater that had your claim had some problems making a decision and he ask his supervisor such as a DRO (decision review officer) review your claim/case  and the DRO will do a complete review of your files on your claim and make the decision.

It can go either way  DRO's are pretty precise with their decisions  I always figured they grant the award if they have all the evidence they need to make the decision.   & you got that  so no use to worry.

7 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I can only be guessing here but maybe a rater that had your claim had some problems making a decision and he ask his supervisor such as a DRO (decision review officer) review your claim/case  and the DRO will do a complete review of your files on your claim and make the decision.

It can go either way  DRO's are pretty precise with their decisions  I always figured they grant the award if they have all the evidence they need to make the decision.   & you got that  so no use to worry.

Thank you Brother, hoping this is over soon.

16 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Do you think since this is a HLR that they are just running it by DRO for approval ?

• HadIt.com Elder

yes  this is what a HLR  is or how it suppose to work.\if a rater has any doubt about your claim on any issue  they have to send it in for HLR  in this case it was a DRO  Which could be a good thing  especially if he grants it and the rater probably would have not.

some raters if they doubt something or not sure they just go ahead and deny the claim.  it depends to as why the rater wanted this to be reviewed?

The term "decision review Officer" has been eliminated with RAMP/AMA.  Its "sort of" the same thing, only a DRO has been replaced with 2:

1.  Higher level review.  An appeal in which you have "no" new evidence that stays in the VARO.  

2.  Supplemental Claim lane.  An appeal in which you submit new evidence.  

The old "DRO review" was sort of a combination of both of the above.  You could submit new evidence or not submit new evidence with a DRO review.  

Of course, you can get a hearing with either HLR or SCL (or, in the past, DRO).  Yes, the old DRO review officers are likely working on SCL's and HLR's now that the DRO term has been eliminated.  

Its ok to refer to them as "DRO" even tho that isnt precise, and will confuse some.  Again, they used to be called DRO, now they are called HLR or SCL.  

It could be important to you to understand the differences between DRO, SCL and HLR.  Hopefully, you can get them straight, now.  If not, please ask away.