VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected ACL disability, can I claim nerve damage secondary due to no feeling on the side of my knee due to surgery?

Rate this question

WBrennan

Question

Good afternoon!

I am currently rated at 30% on my left knee for the ACL Surgery and residuals (Arthritis, Limited ROM, Pain on Motion, Frequent Episodes of Locking/Effusion).  When they did the surgery way back in 1993 the nerve was cut and I have no feeling from the scar to the outside of my left knee/upper calf area.  Can I claim the nerve damage secondary to the SC left knee?

Edited by WBrennan

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

WBrennan Assuming the surgery was for s-c disability, sure you can. But the thing is, I doubt that you are a  doctor; I know I'm not. So you have to get another medical opinion that the surgery leads to your nerve damage. The VA doesn't take medical evidence from us. Get an IMO from a surgeon if you can. Read more on Hadit as to what IMO's are and what is in them. 

• HadIt.com Elder

By the way, if you didn't get scar as part of your disability, you may get an additional disability if it meets the criteria. If you experience a change in walking/gait, problems with your back or other knee or ankles, they might be secondary also. Of course you have to have the diagnosis for the new condition.

Thank you for the quick response.  I have 3 ratings of 0% for the scars on my knee.  The side effect is common with ACL Surgeries (at least from the 1990s, lol).  I think it will rate at 0% or 10% but I guess we will see. 🙂

Sure you can "claim" it.  Question is, will the claim be successful and productive.  To find that out:

1.  Look up the criteria.  

2.  Look up cases similar to yours. (do a search of BVA or cavc cases.) BVA Case Search

3.  Post reasons and bases for denial, if/when you get it, and hadit members will try to help guide you.  

4.  If the above shows you should get the benefits, then persist until you win.  

Edited by Tbird
added link to BVA search