VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is the VA Form 21-4192 required or not? (Request for employment info in connection with claim for disability benefits)

Rate this question

DolphinJoe

Question

I have the 21-8940 filled out (Vet application for increased compensation based on unemployability). The VA letter I received says to include the 21-4192 with it, IF POSSIBLE, completed by the employers identified on the 21-8940.

Why does it say "if possible"? Do they want it or not?

I'm not sure I can even get my former employers (3 of them between 2012 and 2017) to fill one out or even exactly where to send it to them to fill out. Can I just send 3 forms to the VA with the name and contact info of each of those three employers? 

Do they HAVE to have the 21-4192?

Confused here.

Anyone?

Thanks. 

1 answer to this question

Fill it out and send it in.  "If possible" refers, for example, to self employed.  You couldnt contact your "previous employers" if you had none.  

Dont worry about being able to contact old employers.  Just send the form in.  The VA can not deny you "based solely" on old employers not returning the form.  

Once you understand this statement, it will make sense:  THE VA DOES NOT TRUST VETERANS.  So, if "you supply" the name and address of someone to contact, then this could be an unemployed friend of yours and he could tell VA whatever they want to hear.  Unfortunately, there are Vets who have scammed VA in that manner, so VA assumes "all" Veterans are liars.  Of course, that is a bad idea, for one thing, Veterans often WORK FOR VA.  So, if all Veterans are liars they also cant trust their employees.  

Its interesting to me, that the IRS "trusts us" while VA does not.  We mail in our tax form, IRS "checks the math" and may red flag "abusrd numbers" tax returns, but they send out our check in a matter of a couple weeks, without a whole lot of verification.  If you do lie to the irS, well they often find out about it and you are in big trouble.  

With VA, they verify EVERYTHING before the check is sent out.  Every doctor, dd214, service records..every detail.  That is why it takes so long.  If they did it like the IRS, and assume everyones honest, then it would go much better and much faster.  

Even worse, if you immediately "call someone a liar" before you catch him in a lie, he may just be mad and prove you right.  ("Well, if he says Im a liar, then I have nothing to lose, I might as well prove him right.")   To some of us, our reputation for honesty is important, and we often have to do things to maintain that reputation "even if" we regret earlier promises we made.  The key is to rarely make promises..and only those we can fulfill without someone else messing it up.  

Its a bad idea to make a promise based on what "someone else" will do.  Example:  I will have that to you by Friday.  Hey, how was I supposed to know the Post Office has a skeleton crew, and, even tho I shipped it promptly, the post office didnt deliver it until next week.