VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is the VA still accepting the DBQs, as they have retracted them from their website?

Rate this question

Sharm

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sharm Understand that your doc who does your IMO would be the one who fills it out and include with his or her diagnosis and eval of your conditions. You don't fill them out. It would work well if the critical items on your DBQ is also discussed in the IMO.

They still accept the DBQs but from what I've been told from my friends who still work there, outside DBQs are just another piece of evidence and the VA will no longer rate claims solely based on outside DBQs.  In the past, if you sent in an outside DBQ they could rate your claim using it but I guess there were inconsistencies on how those were being done.  

The VA has updated the DBQs they use when they send us out for exams and they no longer 100% match the ones that we have access to.  

As GBArmy stated, the important thing is the IMO so if you're going to pay a physical to fill out the DBQ, make sure you have a strong IMO to go with it.  They will probably still send you for an exam.  

An outside DBQ or IME (in my case), can get the ball rolling for a claim the VA refuses to acknowledge.  Or it can be evidence for an increase in an original low ball rating.  Yes, the VA will send you to a C&P once you turn these in.  In some cases they may agree with the outside assessment, or do their best to refute it.  It was both in my case.  But in the end, I got a rating of 100% P&T with SMC-S.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The regular DBQs do have a "remarks" field at the end, but the VA uses a separate internal form to document the medical nexus/opinion as to whether or not they believe the condition is related to service. 

I would recommend that in addition to any private doctor's DBQ, ensure they send a corresponding independent medical opinion. If they can fit it in the small "remarks" box on the DBQ, then great. Otherwise, it should be sent on their letterhead.

The VARO folks will probably kick it over to one of their own VA C&P examiners for "interpretation". For what it's worth, don't expect the VA to get it right the first time. They have been known to bungle it up and you'll end up having to file either a supplemental or an HLR. It happened to me on my most recent claim a few months ago.