VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scars, Disfigurement Supplemental..HELP

Rate this question

NCVetGirl

Question

I will apologize in advance for the lengthy message but I am looking for insight on what may be happening here.

Dec 2019 I filed claim for CCCA - which is a progressive alopecia typically found in certain group of women and very specific symptoms. I combed STR and found first instance of it in 2003 while active duty. I was treated over the years but it progressed (nothing you can do to stop it only slow it down). Based on disfigurement criteria I believe that my records, statements, etc. met at least four of the requirements.
Last 3 years I had been treated by dermatologist and this was her specialty. She wrote medical opinion and completed DBQ (although not correctly) as she had done this before.

I submitted STR, civilian treatment records (over last 10 years), statements(my own, a battle buddy while active duty, hairstylist when active duty, and current hairstylists), and color photos on Dec 2019. I had CP Exam with VA contracted NP in January 2020. We talked she measured and “agreed” or confirmed that she saw what I saw.  Within 30 days of my initial submission, I received rating indicating 3 of 4 had been met additional they described the wrong location (back area of head not middle/front). 

I filed HLR with conference. I had conference on day 123 and he asked what did they miss? I asked should I give you page numbers of submitted docs to support criteria #4? He said no that’s my job. He also said if criteria not identified in CP Exam then not given weight. Result on Day 125 continue current rating.

I then filed a supplemental claim, submitted additional doctors records (last visit had not been submitted), the DBQ that my private doctor completed in Nov 2019 (with color photos)and two additional statements(mine and spouse).

I have now received request for another CP Exam. Is this typical? Anything I should consider? I tried to lay out all of the pieces. Is this CP Exam another opportunity? I am prepared to go to BVA - as I have done my homework. Seems like the CP Exam was given significantly more weight instead of total picture presented. 

I requested January 2020 CP exam and opinions in February 2020 ebenefits shows available 5/2021.

@Berta

@Buck52

@broncovet

@Tbird

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

All - I wanted to close the loop on this and thank everyone for all of the input. I had my C&P exam. The doctor seemed knowledgeable, took notes, and seemed to agree that one of the elements of disfigurement was present (that had been overlooked) in addition to pain. She also pointed that she needed to look at prior notes and C&P exam from January.  The previous examiner works in same office and happened to walk by when I was exiting the exam room. Well I was very surprised that she did not include the element of disfigurement that she seemed to agree was present (so 30% rating continued instead of increase to 50%) but she did identify painful scars which resulted in an additional rating of 10%. I am flabbergasted but then how can you say your colleague got it totally wrong? I am reached 100% scheduler but not P&T. I have an insomnia claim pending. Maybe a rating on this issue will result in a P&T. Thoughts?

@Tbird

@broncovet

@Buck52

@Berta

Edited by NCVetGirl