VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Gastritis

Rate this question

freedog89

Question

Hello Everyone.  I have had a 10 percent rating for GERD since 2013. I applied for an increase on 3 occasions but finally got a copy of my private medical records. I don’t think the VA ever did. I will submit a supplemental claim with new evidence. I had a endoscopy in 2013 and results came back I have chronic gastritis and my stomach is giving me serious problems. I don’t think that is mentioned in my SMR’s. So can I go SWA since am a combat veteran or as a secondary condition to something that is rated? Not trying to beat the system. If I can claim within the rules then I will do that. If that is no rule that will allow me to then drop it. Thank you for your help.

1 answer to this question

Unless you have it documented within a year of leaving service you can't go 'presumed' and get automatic service connection, but gastritis is a functional intestinal disorder that is listed under 3.317 generally as 'functional gastrointestinal disorders'  for Medically Unexplained Multisystem Illnesses. Not having it in your SMR's could actually help because you generally have to show that you 'didn't' have something prior to GW service, and then afterwards you 'did'. (this is me spitballing, here- thats the basis I would use if I was submitting it for an examination). If you can show service in the GW area and you have it in your records, military or after discharge, within a year it "should" be considered presumed. 

Here are the basic criteria for MUCMI's and SW Asia

Started while you were on active duty or before December 31, 2021, and

Caused you to be ill for at least 6 months, and

Qualified you for a disability rating of 10% or more, and

Was caused only by your service in the Southwest Asia theater of operations