VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lawyers which one

Rate this question

Marine Corp 69/70

Question

6 answers to this question

i love threads like this! i love hearing peoples experiences with different lawyers and VSO's etc. if you had an experience with a particular lawyer i would love to see that on a thread like this to help better make a decision. or even how you decided to choose a particular firm vs another? 

thanks everyone

I always suggest a lawyer at the CAVC (with a BVA denial).  The cost is usually zero because EAJA pays the fees at the CAVC level.  

At the BVA level, its more complicated.  (You have to have at least one denial to hire an attorney).  

You can represent yourself sucessfully at the Board IF (either you or your representative):

1.  Has good enough health to see it through to the end.  (Figure on 4 years, it may be less, but then there are often appeals and remands, that make it still longer.)

2.  You are organized, HAVE A HOME ADDRESS to receive mail (homeless Vets are at a huge disadvantage), and access to a computer with internet.  You could get by with library access, provided that you can use the library computer frequently.  

3.  Have search skills (computer skillls), reading skills, comprehension skills.  You should have the ability to look up something like "38 CFR 3.156c" or "Res Judicata", and be able to understand at least basically, what these things mean.  

4.  At least some resources for postage, and, maybe an IMO if needed.  If you dont know what "Caluza Elements", "IMO", and "nexus" mean, you need to at least be able to look those up and understand them.  

5.  Persistence.  You cant give up.

If you have all these skills and resources, you can probably represent your self.  If not, you will likely need a representative who does, such as a spouse, brother, VSO (skilled VSO..he needs these skills also, plus access to VBM and VBMS).  If your VSO does not know what the Caluza elements are, doesnt know what an IMO is, does not have VBM or VBMS access, consider hiring an attorney who does.