VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I need info on Total and Permanent @80%

Rate this question

sally

Question

I have had 80% total and permenant TDIU for nine years.  I see recommendations to continue until 100%.  I really do not want to deal with it unless there is a benefit for my wife.  Regrettably, It is really stressful to deal with it.

Thank you

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Sally, welcome to Hadit. I'm not exactly sure if you are asking a question. Are you saying that you want to go to 100% rating? Are you asking what benefits for you and your wife would result if you got to 100%? How old are you and do you have any other VA approved disabilities?  If you can, redact or remove your name ,SSN ,etc. and attach your last decision letter to your post. You are right, though, it sure is stressful dealing with the VA for most things. Please provide more info so we can better advise.

Its worth it for her both now, and later for you to get to 100 percent.  Here is why:

1.  She will get Champva health insurance whenever you get to 100 percent. (Now)  Its pretty much the best health insurance you cant buy.  

2.  You can get 10,000 free life insurance (called waiver of premiums).  You "might" be able to get that now, I dont know.  

3.  She can get DIC (about 1400 per month) after your death with "some conditions".  

a.  You die of a SC condition OR

b.  You die of any condition or reason after you have been 100 percent P and T for 10 years.  

4.  DEA  Your kids can get education expenses paid if you get to 100 percent P and T.  

5.  Many states have benefits for 100 percent Vets.  Example:  You can get a portion or all of your property taxes waived (depending on your state).  In my state, that exemption continues for my spouse after my death.  

If you are 80% with TDIU it will give you the same benefits as 100%.

If you are 80% with TDIU P % T, this will also gives you the same benefits as life insurance waiver, DEA CH 35, CHAMP VA, your spouse could get the DIC after death and all the benefits as a 100% Vet could get even the state benefits. Also keep in mind that above TDIU a veteran can still be awarded SMC payments which could increase your monthly disability check.

Do you have a specific question?

Thank you to all who answered my question.  I really appreciate it.  Learned lots.  Although I am new here, I can see that it is a very valuable resource.  Books or experiance, give me experiance anytime.

Thank you