HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

11%
    $175.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

Question

May-
1. Filed for increase on mental health condition (Depression 2nd to Tinnitus)
2. VES exam, didnt go well, got reduced. Examiner said I had another condition, it wasn't service related, etc, etc. 
July-
3. Filed a supplemental with a DBQ from a private psychologist (looked like 50-70 percent)
August-
4. New exam from QTC, went well, probably around 70 percent 
5.  VSO told me a few weeks ago they sent it back to examiner for medical opinion. I know the QTC examiner had mentioned that they did not ask for one in which he thought was odd during my exam in August. 
September- 
6. VSO told me today that they sent it back to the VES examiner from May, and the examiner basically regurgitated the same thing he already said. He already provided a medical opinion previously in May. Examiner said I had OCD (never been diagnosed by anyone in 5 years). 

I am confused to why they sent it back to the VES examiner and not my most recent examiner? Could this be a mistake? Thanks. Not sure how this will pan out. 

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

There was a contradiction between the two doctors examinations and their findings- this happens also if your private doctor opines in your favor and the VA examiner doesn't, or vice versa, especially

By statute it should, but it really depends on what doctor A vs doctor B said and the rationale provided. I know its a popular opinion, but doctors don't usually outright lie on their exams. They get

Pretty much, yeah, except we don't call. We get the pending counts from all the contractors every day uploaded into the system and so it assigns based on distance and overall case load- except that at

• HadIt.com Elder

There was a contradiction between the two doctors examinations and their findings- this happens also if your private doctor opines in your favor and the VA examiner doesn't, or vice versa, especially if the two exams are close together within a few months. In sending it back to the first examiner they would have sent questions with it that need to be answered that either weren't addressed the first time, or that were in the 2nd exam that they want answered by the first examiner. 

• Like 1
On 9/11/2020 at 5:14 PM, brokensoldier244th said:

There was a contradiction between the two doctors examinations and their findings- this happens also if your private doctor opines in your favor and the VA examiner doesn't, or vice versa, especially if the two exams are close together within a few months. In sending it back to the first examiner they would have sent questions with it that need to be answered that either weren't addressed the first time, or that were in the 2nd exam that they want answered by the first examiner. 

Is it possible that the “tie goes to the runner” could go into place here?

• HadIt.com Elder

By statute it should, but it really depends on what doctor A vs doctor B said and the rationale provided. I know its a popular opinion, but doctors don't usually outright lie on their exams. They get paid either way and so have no stake in providing a negative vs a positive exam. They get paid by having the exam assigned, not by the result. By the time they see it the contractor has already been billed- just by the form coming into them.

All they are doing is observing the condition, and if necessary, opining on whether it is SC or not. That is more based on ME (for example) annotating your medical records so as to make the relevant evidence as easy to find as possible out of the hundreds of pages that are in your file. Its a lot easier for the doctor to miss things if they are not called out specifically- thats a lot of what I do when Im working on a claim, actually. I don't have an opinion- and I don't evaluate evidence (im not a rater). If you went from "not SC, no evidence of...." to "holy shit, he's so broken he's about to fall apart" in the span of a few months, one of the other of them made a bad call or didn't see something in the medical files. That's why they are asking for Dr. #1 opinion/rationale again, most likely. Either they didn't evaluate something they should have, or they didn't provide an opinion as to why they think whatever they thought. 

What I DO do is annotate the page(s) on which certain things are noted. That time you went to sick call for X, Y, Z, or that injury that required some sort of medical intervention. I find that stuff in your records, annotate it, and then send it to the doctor on the exam request remarks "Hey, doc..look at pg 20-22 psych notes, pps 48, 49, 62, 115 shows progression and original DX..." etc. They have the records that we notate for them, so, if you have a lousy VSR (it happens, I won't deny it) that rushes through things and doesn't annotate well then the doctor has to go through all of it on a snipe hunt. Its a lot easier and faster for them if its already called out in the notes that I send them. (its also a lot easier for me on claim forms if the veteran can give at least an approximate time/date that something started or something happened- even "Spring of 95, I think...." is better than nothing. It gives me a place to start that isn't Pg 1-pg 395)

Im a little slower than many VSRs. I like the challenge of finding this stuff. KIM that while records may have been scanned in for most all era's of veterans at this point a lot of them are still a mishmash of hand written vs digital/typed. SO, CTRL-F is not always my friend because 'search' won't find handwriting in a PDF. Its just not that good yet. I have a medical dictionary, and another one that is just the symbols that doctors generally use, with abbreviations. While handwriting won't get found on a PDF, I CAN search for things on the form like 'field' headings or form numbers (DD214, DD2807), so I can search for "hearing" or "audio" and at least hit every form that has a field with that name. Its still slow, but its a lot faster than scrolling through all 300+ or more pages, too. I do a combination of both- I scroll and I also 'search', trying to catch whatever instances I can of whatever you claimed. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By XIbodybag
      Filed a supplemental claim 12 days ago.  Sent a current diagnosis from VHA of combat related PTSD (they diagnosed me with other stressor related disorder at 30%) and evidence of symptoms and interactions with police that should put me at 50 or 70% in like 50 pages of evidence via .  Called 1800 number today to check on status and they said that it had already been decided for 10/20/2020 (tomorrow???) and no new C&P was given.  Does this seem a bit fast to you?  Does that mean its unfavorable or have you seen favorable decisions made that quickly?  
    • By Foxhound6
      Just wanted to share this with everyone as I prefer to give credit where it is truly due:
      After I won my recent claim, with this forums help for my mental health my brother-in-law, an Air Force vet, began to look at his mental health more seriously. With guidance I received via these forums, I helped by advising him on how to develop his claim and he submitted everything on Jul 1 2020. Today, he received a lump sum deposit from VA. Upon later review of his VA.gov account, it had been updated to reflect his mental health as secondary to his current back claim and was awarded 70%. Bringing him to 80% combined (30% for back).
      My sister and her family are greatly appreciative of everyone here who has contributed to the forums, as I explained to them where my new found knowledge had come from. You guys are the real helpers!
    • By scooter318
      Hi Everyone
      I want to file a supplemental claim but I was told that I have to fill out form 20-0995 and fax it to the office that sent me my denial letter. But I also wanted to know when I fax in the form do I also fax in the IMO the lay statement and the case law that I have as new evidence in support of my claim. 
    • By Willypete
      Hi, new member here, longterm lurker.
      I'm seeking advice on moving forward with my claim regarding loss of peripheral vision (code 6080), TDIU as a result. Specifically, I'm wondering if I should file the supplemental reopen to include EED, SC, and the TDIU?  Here's the timeline:
      Initial VA claim in 2015 for numerous things including field of vision loss, back pain, lower leg numbness, etc. This resulted in only 30% service connected lower back arthritis, but denial on the vision issue.  By 2018, the back worsened and a few other issues arose, so I submitted another claim resulting in the back increasing to 40% SC, hemorrhoids 20% SC, lower limb radiculopathy 20% for 70% total. 
      I did not appeal the vision due to lack of education on the VA claims process. However, I've done my research and found that my initial vision C&P exam was insufficient.  Per 38 CFR § 4.77 - Visual fields., the exam must be conducted using Goldman kinetic perimetry or Humphrey/Octopus automated. Neither of those occurred during my test. My vision test was outsourced via LSI (?) to a local optometry store. After meeting the doctor, he was informed that the "machine" was broken, so my test was performed manually using a tangent screen skipping Goldman. This is the basis for the insufficient exam.
      After receiving my initial 30% in 2015 I entered into the VA for my medical care, as a part of that I indicated I had vision issues and thus began annual visits at the VA to get an exam and meet the ophthalmologist. My initial Humphrey scans did show significant loss of peripheral vision and I was transferred to the head of the department for follow on analysis. She did a full eye exam, could not find anything physical in the eye that might be causing the loss and recommended annual visits to track the progress. Fine.
      3 years passed and each year the Humphrey test showed continued loss of peripheral vision.  In 2019 I started seeing the neuro-ophthalmologist who decided it was time to do more investigating and ordered a MRI and then later a CT Angiogram. The results of those tests was that once again no physical cause could be seen for the vision loss. I'm a Gulf War vet with 42 combat missions in the aircraft in 1991 and then a 2nd tour in the Gulf during Southern Watch during 1992. Additionally, our airwing was based and I lived at NAF Atsugi which has been highlighted for issues regarding a dioxin incinerator just south of base. I was going to name these issues to garner a SC but recognize that may be weak sauce. 
      My left eye concentric contraction is around 15% and the right eye is around 20%. Based on the better eye this translates to 50% rating. 
      The TDIU is something I've only recently thought about. I have issues with driving and going into busy stores is extremely stressful as I cannot see people coming from the sides so I avoid them. Previously, I owned my own business but prior to Covid I had already shut one location and sold another as I was reducing my workload due to my back and vision. In March I closed my last location and do not anticipate reopening because I don't think I can handle it. Physical labor is out of the question and the back/hemorrhoid precludes extending sitting and the vision is making driving near impossible and headaches are an issue.
      Thanks for any advice on how best to further the vision claim and perhaps include some of those issues I've talked about. Any problems with reopening a claim based on an insufficient initial exam?
    • By MMTOTZ
      Good morning all. 

Hoping someone could shed some light on a couple things. I’m on second go around with Supplemental claim on the same issues, but this time, actually got to see a doctor through QTC that listened, and looked at everything with me.
      Tried for a higher level review, but missed the second phone call to schedule appointment, was in VA appt. 

I called Peggy last week and they explained the DRO is requesting a records review from the doctor? 

Last night I received a package from QTC explaining that a different nurse practitioner will be reviewing my records ?   I’m a little confused and wondering if this will bode well for my claim as this person did not see or speak with me. 

• Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines