• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Advertise Here contact us

Question

For +10 years, I have been rated at 40% for fibromyalgia as a presumptive to my service is SW Asia. I completed Gulf War registry, etc over a decade ago. I have also been being treated for years for unexplained hives/dermatitis as well as disturbed sleep (no apnea, but no REM sleep). I have been having headaches for years, but about a year ago was diagnosed with migraines and prescribed medications that I continue to take.

My question is, can I file for migraines as part of the "undiagnosed illness" presumptive to my SW Asia service, or am I not allowed to because I am already diagnosed and compensated for fibromyalgia?

Thank you.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Here is a better list as the first does not cover it all.  Also it is not only limited to this as I know GERD can also be included.     Gulf War Connected Illnesses The VA presumes amy

4 answers to this question

Fibromyalgia is a catch all disorder and the symptoms can be rated separately. You can file claims as Gulf War Related or secondary to your already service connected fibromyalgia.

With widespread musculoskeletal pain and tender points, with or without associated fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness, paresthesias, headache, irritable bowel symptoms, depression, anxiety, or Raynaud's-like symptoms

Gulf War presumptive illnesses graphic--text version follows.

so the answer is yes and it is a DIRECT connection!   headaches are not secondary to soemthing else.  I know this as i fought the VA and won.  I was probably the easiest one I have won.  it sounds like you have everything you need to win this, so I would get it submitted ASAP.  I won mine in 2018, and I got out of the military in 2004.

Just an FYI headaches and Fibro are separate!  I am rated for both 40% fibro and 30% headaches.

Here is a better list as the first does not cover it all.  Also it is not only limited to this as I know GERD can also be included.  

Gulf War Connected Illnesses

• The VA presumes amyotrophic lateral sclerorsis (ALS) diagnosed in all veterans, including Gulf War veterans, with 90 days ore more continuous active military service is related to their service.
  • Gulf War veterans who have received a valid diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) may be granted if the illness is associated with an in-service stressful event.
  • The VA presumes certain medically unexplained illnesses are related to Gulf War service without regard to cause. These include: chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, functional gastrointestinal disorders, and undiagnosed illnesses with symptoms that may include but are not limited to: abnormal weight loss, cardiovascular disease, muscle and joint pain, headache, menstrual disorders, neurological and psychological problems, skin conditions, respiratory disorders, and sleep disturbances.
  • Like 1

Erhathaway I don't know if you can get to 100% combined. Doesn't sound like you would be able to get much on hearing loss if you THINK you may have hl. If you are hard of hearing, you would know it. One of the 3 principles of getting a disability is having a diagnosis. Perhaps you can get a free hearing eval from one of the hearing aid companies to see if you do have one. If you do, and it meets the criteria for hearing loss, it would have had to been performed using a specific method called the Maryland test. Either the VA or a certified audiologist has to do that. Then, if your MOS was on flight line, you may meet the second requirement, which is an event or injury while in the service. If you have been out a long time, you should also have a statement in support of the claim saying how the event started in the AF. That might get you a 0, 10, or 20% rating (I'm guessing), but using VA math, that's only going to get you an increase of 2 or 3 points on combined rating. If you have ring/buzzing in your ears,which is tinnitus, the max you could possibly get for that is 10%. So, that's about another 1 point or so on combined rating. So you see it is very hard to move the needle once your at 80% or higher. I don't know much about your other conditions. You need to provide a little more info.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ERHATHAWAY
      Hello everyone. My name is Eric and I am rated at 80% for sever back spasms, anxiety, depression. I also have complex ptsd from childhood.  I have va surcical consult with the va for more lipomas right on my sciatic nerve yet again. Every 6 or 7 years mulitiple excisions. I may have hearing loss AF vet flightline part delivery 6 years. Do you think pursueing both will pull me over the top?
    • By chibears3531
      I was checking va.gov after receiving the mostly favorable results of an HLR for an earlier effective date claim for migraines where VA called CUE on themselves.
      I say mostly favorable because the effective date claim went back to 2006. The CUE was instead awarded exactly one year back from the date of the intent to file in  March 2019 back to March 2018.
      That's when I noticed a new claim for increase on va.gov for TBI that I did not submit.
      That's where it says under evidence gathering "Request 1- 930 rating not addressed see claim notes"
      I spoke to a VA rep who says that it's an internal review and was about pyramiding TBI and PTSD. I've been mislead by the phone reps before though...
      Can anyone make sense of this?
      Edit- in the HLR rating decision code sheet it says "REVIEWER NOTE: pyramiding under DC 8045 is outside the scope of the current HLR for earlier effective date for migraine." Could be a clue...
    • By Ztmiller8
      Hey all,
      First off, love this page it has been extremely helpful! 
      Background: currently at 90% / 70-ptsd, 50-migraines, 10-iritis, 10-tinnitus, and I’m in the running for 100 at the moment. 
      Current day: Was content at 90 but after all these years I have finally come out about my MST when I was in the infantry. Still working stuff out on that end as this is still fresh...
      Anyway, I submitted a claim for sleep apnea because of the MST. I submitted the following: picture of CPAP machine I use in my house, nexus statement from issuing doctor, Nexus statement from other doctor stating the sleep apnea is due to trauma from MST,  copy of sleep study confirming I have sleep apnea from doctor listed above and buddy statements as well as the formal submission paperwork of my MST to three levels of my chain of command, NCO, O3, O5 etc...
      Wrap this all up with a successful expedited hardship approval and you now have me waiting for answers. Well today (a few moments prior to writing this) I found out I am getting a C&P exam for this...I almost feel like this is a slap in the face...I mean how am I to go up to that examiner and explain all this when I literally gave it all to them...
      Has anyone been in my shoes before???

Thank you all.
    • By Goonie
      I've also posted this over at PEB forums and I'd really like to get a clear answer because I think understanding what they mean in how this is written will be very helpful. 
      So this is reproduced verbatim in text and format from a 2012 decision letter based on only my service records. In the heading, it says "(to include claim of neck condition...)," does that mean the neck condition could be rated at some % but they combined it or subsumed it with fibromyalgia to raise that rating to 40% and avoid pyramiding? 
      What about the things listed under "Additional symptom(s) include:"? Were the combined somehow or are they just noting other symptoms? 
      Thank you in advance! 
    • By jdelta
      Like the title says, i go to have an exam for fibro, gerd, and eczyma. Now the last one is a toss up, and the gerd maybe too i don't know. A doctor outside the VA diagnosed me with fibro a few years back. He was an idiot though so i don't know if it was documented(probably, but i also have 30 percent for p.s.t.d. so i'm probably being paranoid). Then again this doctor told me it was my weight blah blah blah. I told him multiple times that a few years prior i was going to the gym alot and the pain has become worse as i age amking it harder to be as active. I try to eat good(chicken and rice, oatmeal) most of the times but we are human. So back to the exam, i have only had one for the p.t.s.d. I was in Iraq day one of the war(March 2003). I was around burn pits and was exposed to the aftermaths of exploded tanks and buildings(hell some we even enter to make sure nobody was hiding or any wmd. I'm registered for the burn pits. I just don't know what to expect, will it be questions, will it be a physical? It's an outside contractor, so i'm hoping less va bias. I'm also too the point of drowning in debt. It's trigger my p.t.s.d. to the point my wife can't even sleep due to my nightmares and waking up with night terrors. I have become much angrier and lashing out. Not physically though, but i don't know what state i'll be in if i get another denial(btw with what i mentioned, i have a bva for freaking tinnitus even though i have stated where i have been. I was also a cavalry scout in the army so i was trained for combat. I have lay statements from a battle buddy, mom, wife, ex and a friend. I just need to know what to expect or what else i need to do to have a shot at an approval? I'm also filed for apnea, va diagnosed me and i have a cpap. Never had a chance to have any of this documented in service due to being told to man up. 
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 7 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 6 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines