VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

hieveryone

Question

For +10 years, I have been rated at 40% for fibromyalgia as a presumptive to my service is SW Asia. I completed Gulf War registry, etc over a decade ago. I have also been being treated for years for unexplained hives/dermatitis as well as disturbed sleep (no apnea, but no REM sleep). I have been having headaches for years, but about a year ago was diagnosed with migraines and prescribed medications that I continue to take.

My question is, can I file for migraines as part of the "undiagnosed illness" presumptive to my SW Asia service, or am I not allowed to because I am already diagnosed and compensated for fibromyalgia?

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

Fibromyalgia is a catch all disorder and the symptoms can be rated separately. You can file claims as Gulf War Related or secondary to your already service connected fibromyalgia.

With widespread musculoskeletal pain and tender points, with or without associated fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness, paresthesias, headache, irritable bowel symptoms, depression, anxiety, or Raynaud's-like symptoms

• Lead Moderator

Gulf War presumptive illnesses graphic--text version follows.

so the answer is yes and it is a DIRECT connection!   headaches are not secondary to soemthing else.  I know this as i fought the VA and won.  I was probably the easiest one I have won.  it sounds like you have everything you need to win this, so I would get it submitted ASAP.  I won mine in 2018, and I got out of the military in 2004.

Just an FYI headaches and Fibro are separate!  I am rated for both 40% fibro and 30% headaches.

• Lead Moderator

Here is a better list as the first does not cover it all.  Also it is not only limited to this as I know GERD can also be included.  

Gulf War Connected Illnesses

• The VA presumes amyotrophic lateral sclerorsis (ALS) diagnosed in all veterans, including Gulf War veterans, with 90 days ore more continuous active military service is related to their service.
  • Gulf War veterans who have received a valid diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) may be granted if the illness is associated with an in-service stressful event.
  • The VA presumes certain medically unexplained illnesses are related to Gulf War service without regard to cause. These include: chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, functional gastrointestinal disorders, and undiagnosed illnesses with symptoms that may include but are not limited to: abnormal weight loss, cardiovascular disease, muscle and joint pain, headache, menstrual disorders, neurological and psychological problems, skin conditions, respiratory disorders, and sleep disturbances.

• HadIt.com Elder

Erhathaway I don't know if you can get to 100% combined. Doesn't sound like you would be able to get much on hearing loss if you THINK you may have hl. If you are hard of hearing, you would know it. One of the 3 principles of getting a disability is having a diagnosis. Perhaps you can get a free hearing eval from one of the hearing aid companies to see if you do have one. If you do, and it meets the criteria for hearing loss, it would have had to been performed using a specific method called the Maryland test. Either the VA or a certified audiologist has to do that. Then, if your MOS was on flight line, you may meet the second requirement, which is an event or injury while in the service. If you have been out a long time, you should also have a statement in support of the claim saying how the event started in the AF. That might get you a 0, 10, or 20% rating (I'm guessing), but using VA math, that's only going to get you an increase of 2 or 3 points on combined rating. If you have ring/buzzing in your ears,which is tinnitus, the max you could possibly get for that is 10%. So, that's about another 1 point or so on combined rating. So you see it is very hard to move the needle once your at 80% or higher. I don't know much about your other conditions. You need to provide a little more info.