VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Hyrocodone

Rate this topic

I've been taking this drug over 3 years 4-5 a day, depending on my pain. I'm service connected for bad disk in lower back. Lately its been getting worse, pain medicine not helping. I'm wondering if it could causing some of the pain. I'm also worried about the long term effects of this drug. I've been trying to tapper off for a while with out much luck. I'm going to the VA this week. I thought about asking for something to help me tapper off. What to you think they will give me. Also my anxiety level is through the roof (also SC). I'm getting in arguments at home & work. I take xanx & welbutrine but its no getting it. What should I ask for?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have the same problem they can't operate on my back I have been thinking about a 45 myself....I am hoping for an early spring so I can get back in the pool the VA won't let me use theirs due to my heart condition I can use mine 10-18 hours a day when it's warm enough taking the weight off my back is the only thing that stops the pain that floating feeling is the only help

Guest rickb54
I've been taking this drug over 3 years 4-5 a day, depending on my pain. I'm service connected for bad disk in lower back. Lately its been getting worse, pain medicine not helping. I'm wondering if it could causing some of the pain. I'm also worried about the long term effects of this drug. I've been trying to tapper off for a while with out much luck. I'm going to the VA this week. I thought about asking for something to help me tapper off. What to you think they will give me. Also my anxiety level is through the roof (also SC). I'm getting in arguments at home & work. I take xanx & welbutrine but its no getting it. What should I ask for?

I have been fighting this same battle for years due to my back condition. When I tell the VA that my Meds don't help they start recyleing the meds. By that I mean, they put me on Mortin, Darvon, Morphine, oxycodine, etc.. and they just keep going through the same list of meds, until I end right back were I started,,, then it starts all over again..Like a round robin ...

Edited by rickb54

I, too have been on hydrocodone for over 4 yeard for urological/post cancer surgery issues. Last month, the VA put me on Methadone 10mg twice a day with hydrocodone (up to 6 a day) for break through pain. The methadone has worked well, and I have been able to cut back on the hydrocodone.

My wife is in excruciating pain 24/7 from failed neck fusion, diabetic neuropathy, and arthritis. She has an interthical diluaded pump that drips 7 mg a day into her spinal fluid continuously. She takes 6 percocet a day on top of the internal medication. She has been on the duragesic patches, oxycontin, and previously had morphine in the pump until they went through all the strengths of that and switched to the diluaded. Her pain management doc at the Cleveland Clinic wanted to try her on a conjunction medication called lyrica http://www.lyrica.com/ , but she felt like it caused her heart to race, so they discontinued it. It may be worth a try for you. Another medication that they used while her pump was turned off (pump holiday, and before they implanted a second generation pump) was Kadian http://www.kadian.com/pages/default.aspx

• HadIt.com Elder

David

The real problem with many of the narcotics is not the narcotic but the tylenol that they add to it. Opiates by themselves are not bad for you. They don't hurt your liver or gut. Of course, I am like others here with the side effects of narcotics and the dependency and habituation problems. If you stay on these drugs you also have a problem with depression and lots of other problems to do with taking a depressant. I am trying to cut back on the percoset I use for my back and shoulders. The stuff gives me insomnia. I have also been on methadone and morphine. Great way to turn your intestines into concrete if you know what I mean. When the surgeries and shots and nerve blocks don't work what is there besides narcotics? I had an ablations done on my neck.....nothing, no relief, so back to the dope. Lyrica is a drug for nerve pain, and is state of the art for PN.