VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Claim

Rate this question

Phil73

Question

I'm hoping someone could help me with this question. I have two different PTSD events that occurred during my service. One was combat related and the other was non-combat. Do I need to file two different claims or should I just file one and submit my evidence with nexus?

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Also Remember You  will need to be diagnose by the VA Dr's   psychiatrist or psychologist and a    VA  L.C.S.W. can also diagnose PTSD  they are the ones you normally see when referred to them by your Dr  or VA PCP  the Dr signs off the the L.C.S.W. Diagnose.

THE L.C.S.W.  is the first person a veteran sees when getting help for his MH Issue 

If your claiming MST I can only refer you to the MENTAL HEALTH COORDINATOR FOR EVALUATION.

Just remember anything you say you can back it up, when you go see a C&P Examiner this is when things gets fairly rough and you may become emotionally distressed , this examiner will normally take about 90 minutes asking you questions and these questions will be in the form of forensic  questions during this 90 minutes  and also the examiner reads all your records pertaining to your PTSD and they usually take 1 /3 hours reading  so they will cover all you been through with the VA MH Doctors and L.C.S.W.'s before the exam.  (normally)

Just remember to be honest and truthful and if you can't answer a question  just say you don't know.

**NOTE**

This all may be different if you have a VCC *(VEDIO CONFRANCE CALL) BUT IN GENERAL IT ALL MAYBE CONDUCTED IN THE SAME MANNER AS AN IN OFFICE IN PERSON C&P EXAM.

As for as which stressor to give  give both at the same time  if you have in fear for your life stressor due to combat tell them about that  if you have a MST case defiantly tell them about that...they will consead one or the other  remember you can only have one M.H Claim from the VA, , but can be diagnose for more than one MH ISSUE.

They may call some unspecific condition to other Mental Health Disorders.

• HadIt.com Elder

I wanted to add this.

As for as what they rate you  then that depends on your symptoms  and what the examiner checks  in the boxes.

• HadIt.com Elder

This may help too!

check your symptoms the examiner puts in the Boxes and compare your symptoms to this rating formula.  the percentage is to the right of each level of symptoms.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships. 70
Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships. 50
Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events). 30
Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication. 10
A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication. 0

Me too and I feel your PTSD claim is solid.