• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Advertise Here contact us

Service connected disability - Multiple Myeloma (incurable csncer)

Question

My husband was a crew chief on F-16 fighter jets. He was stationed at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa Japan. In 2000 he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and in 2001 he had a bone marrow transplant. He was forced to retire from his career because they said he was unfit to serve world wide because his cancer is incurable and he would need to be monitored regularly.

We started the journey to apply for benefits in 2000 and have been denied multiple times. We finally hired an attorney who is very experienced with this type of matter. We are at the stage where we will appeal to a higher stage. If that doesn't work, we'll go to the hearing stage. I cannot believe they deny AO was at Kadena. My husband saw it being sprayed around buildings for weed control and he actually at times sprayed the area.

We also included another area where he could have become ill.  He handled jet fuel almost everyday for over 20 years, which could have contributed to his situation.

That's our story. Our attorney believes we will win. I hope he is right.  I just don't understand why thus has been so difficult.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Lynette_ I posted 2 replies earlier that got lost in that thread here they are:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/48027-agent-orange-kadena-afb-okinawa/page/5/

These posts are a little out of order but my reply is to the poster today-Lynette-

You stated :

"We also included another area where he could have become ill.  He handled jet fuel almost everyday for over 20 years, which could have contributed to his situation."

"That's our story. Our attorney believes we will win. I hope he is right." I do too!

I will search the BVA to see if there us anything there that can help- I did find this case:

The veteran was exposed to AO but was also exposed to JP 4 and had colon cancer.(Not an AO presumptive)

Here, the January 2019 VA examiner and Dr. M.M  , the January 2019 VA examiner and Dr. M.M.K. are competent to opine as to the relationship between the Veteran’s herbicide and jet fuel exposure and his colorectal cancer.  Although the physicians reached different conclusions, both opinions were supported by an adequate rationale that included references to medical literature.   Thus, resolving reasonable doubt in the Veteran’s favor, the Board finds entitlement to service connection for the cause of the Veteran’s death is granted.
.K. are competent to opine as to the relationship between the Veteran’s herbicide and jet fuel exposure and his colorectal cancer.  Although the physicians reached different conclusions, both opinions were supported by an adequate rationale that included references to medical literature.   Thus, resolving reasonable doubt in the Veteran’s favor, the Board finds entitlement to service connection for the cause of the Veteran’s death is granted.

In part:

"Here, the January 2019 VA examiner and Dr. M.M.K. are competent to opine as to the relationship between the Veteran’s herbicide and jet fuel exposure and his colorectal cancer.  Although the physicians reached different conclusions, both opinions were supported by an adequate rationale that included references to medical literature.   Thus, resolving reasonable doubt in the Veteran’s favor, the Board finds entitlement to service connection for the cause of the Veteran’s death is granted."

"A December 2013 private opinion from Drs. G.I.G. and B.R. concluded that it was more likely than not that both exposure to Agent Orange and jet fuel during service contributed to the Veteran’s colorectal cancer. Dr. G.G. and Dr. B.R.’s rationale relied on multiple articles, among other sources.  The opinion discusses the carcinogenic effects of Agent Orange and jet fuel.  The opinion names articles which it reports link Agent Orange and jet fuel to colorectal cancer.  Specifically, the opinion uses the Institute of Medicine’s classification of Agent Orange into the category of “Inadequate or Insufficient Evidence to Determine Association” to show there is evidence of biologic plausibility.  Additionally, the opinion discusses a study on chromosomal abnormalities in sheep which found that exposure to Agent Orange increased the risk of chromosomal breakage. The opinion reported that this study explained that animal and human cells have a strong qualitative similarity in response to dioxins, which is a byproduct of Agent Orange. 

A January 2019 VA opinion concluded that the Veteran’s rectal cancer was less likely than not caused by his exposure to Agent Orange and jet fuel. The VA doctor’s opinion relies on research and directly refutes the research presented by the private opinion. The opinion notes that there is no medical evidence that JP-4 jet fuel nor Agent Orange causes or is a risk factor for rectal cancer. "

https://www.va.gov/vetapp19/files9/19173836.txt

Have you obtained any IMOs that will help the claim? The JP-4 nexus could be the key to the multiple myeloma condition.

This is a far different disability , in the BVA decision, but often only a very strong IMO/IME =Independent Medical Opinion/ Examination can fully resolve this type of claim.

Then again , I am sure the lawyer has already suggested that to you.

Question:

"He was forced to retire from his career because they said he was unfit to serve world wide because his cancer is incurable and he would need to be monitored regularly."

Did you mean he retired from the Military with a medical discharge, or retired from civilian job?