VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VBA is making it more difficult to get copies of C&P exams

Rate this question

deedub75

Question

Why does the VA continue to make it more difficult for us to view our C&P exams? First, they took away our access to exams done by contractors and now they delay our access to exams done at VAMCs.  

In the not too distant past, I was able to walk into the VAMC records department, fill out a form and instantly get copies of contractor performed exams. Now the VAMC no longer gets copies of those exams. They said they used to get a courtesy copy of the exams but they no longer get them.  I say B.S.  

I had an exam done at the VAMC on September 11, 2020. I've been checking my VAMC medical records online every day waiting for a copy of the exam to show up there. A note is in there now saying that they won't put the exam in the records until after 30 days has passed. Why do something like that? I don't think it's always been that way. Maybe I can go to the VAMC records office and request a copy but who knows? 

It seems like VBA is making it difficult for us to view our exams before they are used to rate our claims.  Don't forget that they also took away the 48 hour hold that the VSOs used to have to review our claims before they were finalized.  

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

It depends on the type of C & P exam. We all know that VA will do whatever VA wants to do and us pea-ons will have to deal with their mess. I know that VA can hold a mental health C & P exam (forgot if it is law or regulation) but for the safety and benefit to everyone involved, any medical facility can withhold medical records if it may cause harm to the patient, the physician including a psychiatrist and anyone involved.

This is something that needs to be addressed. The VA works electronically and the rater has this information at the touch of a button. Also, the VSO's can see this too. Taking one year is unacceptable and delays due process rights of veterans. You can go to the  regional office by  appointment and see the CP results  except VA is  using the  Covid 19 excuse and not  allowing anyone in. If  you can get a VA doctor to do a CP exam, then it has  to made available 30 days. 

We didn't always have to wait 30 days for the exams done at the VAMC to show up, I don't believe. I guess if I could go to the ROI office and get a copy.  

They are doing these things so they can say that they shaved a couple of days off for time to process claims. If I can't see a copy of my C&P exam in a timely fashion, then I can't contest it before they close out my claim. And now the VSOs don't have that 48 hour window to review a claim before it's finalized.  All of this in the name of speeding up the claims process but this adds to the number of appeals and a longer wait for the veteran. 

Well, after waiting 30 days for my C&P exam conducted at the VAMC to show up in my VA medical records, I can now see why they sent me to the VAMC in the first place. I had already been sent a contractor for foot and ankle exams where ROM measurements had been done. I won't know until I can get my hands on a copy of the contractor exam but I'm betting that it was very favorable to my claim and they wanted someone at the VAMC to take a second look. The exam at the VAMC wasn't favorable to me and had numerous lies and inaccuracies. The NP said that I have a normal gait. I have a permanent limp due to pes planus and multiple foot an ankle surgeries on both feet and ankles. I have tarsal tunnel syndrome as well as radiculopathy due to a back injury. There is no way in hell that I can have a normal gait. The NP also failed to mention that I was wearing ankle braces on both ankles to keep them from giving out. She also quoted my doctor saying that in January 2020 my dorsiflexion and plantarflexion were normal but failed to mention that one of my other doctors who performed surgery on me in February 2020 stated that the were not normal which was part of the reason I had surgery. My claims were increases for both feet and ankles and I filed these claims in April 2020 because I had started having numbness and tingling in both feet and ankles and I was having trouble moving them. The notes from the January 2020 exam shouldn't have even been included because this was a claim for increase because my condition had worsened since then.  

• HadIt.com Elder

This don't make the VA Look Good.

if your denied based on the last examiners report the ''NP''  YOU may want to go on to the BVA and ask that the first exam be used in the decision and not the N/P, Report  or disagree with the NP Report and tell them why. and get a new private IMO.