• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

SSDI, Medicare Pt B and Tricare

I'm a 58 yr old Air Force vet and I just recently got my SSDI approved which made me Medicare eligible.  Me and my wife's health insurance is through Tricare Prime.  Tricare rules say that I lose my Tricare eligibility if I decline Medicare Part B.  Does this mean I have to pay both my Tricare premium and Medicare Part B premium to keep my Tricare insurance?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer your question but I'd check with a Medicare Repersentive

As I understand it your got the medicare disability based on your service connection from the VA rendering you total disabled?   so if SSDI approved you then I'd sure ask them this question.

I have the Medicare part B...and also use the VAMC...BUT WITH THIS COVID-19 MAKES IT HARD TO USE THE VA, Their doing most clinic visits   via Tele Health Vedio conferences .

Unless its a medical emergency.

You can use the VA for emergency's......I Realizes some Veterans do not like using the VA for medical care  which I totally understand.

Yes.   I already complained several times to my congressman and to veterans organizations about this rule, nothing has changed.   I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran (wheelchair-bound), also receiving SSDI.  I use VA for all my medical needs, I pay Tricare premiums so my wife and young children are still covered, + I have to also pay for Medicare Part B which I never use (first, Medicare doesn't cover much). 

The law should make an exception for veterans who are receiving SSDI, since we already have VA Healthcare and sometime Tricare, but I am still forced to pay over $150 a month for Medicare Part B which I never use!

I'm in the same boat. You do not have to pay the Tricare premiums. You do have to pay Medicare Part B premiums, which Social Security automatically deducts from your monthly SSDI payment. If you are still paying Tricare Prime premiums after you are enrolled in Medicare Part B premiums, call Tricare and they will adjust it. They cut my family premiums in half, so my wife still has Tricare Prime while I am using the VA and Medicare. Also, Tricare acts as your medigap plan. Whatever Medicare doesn't pay, Tricare will cover the rest of the cost.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mb76
      I know that SSDI for SC disabilities means near automatic approval of TDIU but not the other way around. Does that mean that I should try to get SSDI first? If so, do you know of any good SSDI resources and forums? Thanks.
    • By Hucast21
      Hi Hadit members!
      I have a question for folks who have SSDI: how hard is it to get? I have read information about SSDI stating it is harder to get vs VA disability, especially if the person applying for it is under 40.
      Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

• By AimSmall
      Hello All,
      Ive been coming to this site on and off for a couple of years, but this is my first post. Lot of knowledgeable and great people here. Thank you to all the old timers and those with experience for everything you contribute here. You do a lot for people, even though it may not be evident. 
      Im a 36 year old 100 P&T VA for combat related PTSD, TBI and other service connected issues. Former active duty 11B B4, fought with the 101st in OIF. Left active in 2009 as I was having issues. No one was helping me, didnt understand what was wrong with me, and of course the culture of "if youre not bleeding or missing a limb, dont go to sick call", ect. So I left, joined the reserves where Ive been ever since. That door is about to close as well, as I just cant do it anymore. I did my best to try and still contribute to my nation, feel some sense of worth and continue to serve, but my issues are too great and I have to step away. Even though the Army has changed a lot, I still feel a great sense of loss of over this. But, I have a family now and must do what is best for them. That alone is difficult for me. Those of you who have the same issues as me may understand, PTSD and TBI are what I call a "perfect storm of bull____". Our hardware and software are both busted and feed off each other in ways that I myself cannot even begin to describe.  Damn near ruined my life and just trying to get through the average day takes everything Ive got. I used to be a mostly-normal, fun-loving, smart and well-adjusted guy and I was good at my job. Anyway, this ain't a therapy session, but Im sure a lot of you can understand where Im coming from.
      My latest battle is with SSDI. Denied. Appeal denied. Now Im onto the hearing phase. Hearing is set for April 5th. I have a lawyer firm I sort of just picked out of a hat. They arent even in my locale, Im in the Northwest, they are Philadelphia or something. They are supposed to be representing me. I have a hearing in April and I havent even talked to a real lawyer yet. Im worried and scared about this whole process. It has made me extremely anxious, among other things. Its causing a lot of extra stress. Im trying to find answers on how to maximize my chances of success. 
      What Ive gleaned so far is of course, get all VA records. I still attend treatment every month (i would go more but Its a 4 hour round trip just to see them every month). Im sure its going to be harder to get SSDI because of my age too. Not to mention, the VA does not seem the best at keeping records. Most all of my treatment has been with the standard-issue social worker therapist type and of course, the docs/nurses who prescribe me my meds.
      My head is swimming. I am having a hard time making sense of all this. Im scared and I could really use some guidance. I dont trust these lawyer people to do their best for me. Im hoping there is not something critical I am missing. Im not good at describing my symptoms, reflecting on my life.... let alone in court in front of a judge.  Sorry such a long post, sort of hard to collect my thoughts. Thanks for any input and advice. 

• By scythis
      I received the short from from Social Security and checked the box "In the last year, I have not discussed with my doctor whether I can work".  This is because it is understood that I cannot, and my doctor and I don't discuss working (at least, I think) because its a given that it is permanent that I cannot.  Anyhow, this seems to have triggered the long form from ssdi and I filled it out and sent it in asap.  I put my psych dr's contact info and my therapist's.  My question is: Should I contact my doctor or therapist in advance or just let them respond to what the SS office asks for?
      Thanks much! 
    • By paulcolrain
      IF YOU CAN PLEASE LIKE THIS POST SO THAT I KNOW IM NOT ALONE......
      ITS MY BELIEF THAT IF EACH AND EVERY VETERAN GETS A VA CASE WORKER JUST LIKE THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMIN GIVES THENNN,,,,
      WE AS VETS WOULD ALWAYS KNOW WHATS GOING ON AND HAVE A PHONE NUMBER TO 1 PERSON AND BE ABLE TO SUBMIT NEW EVIDENCE TO 1 PERSON JUST LIKE THE CLAIMANTS OF SS.
      WE COULD STILL USE VSO'S TO FIND OUT WHAT BENEFITS  WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO AND ARGUE FOR BUT,,,,,,, WE WOULD NOW HAVE A SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT WITHIN THE VA SYSTEM WORKING ON OUR CLAIMS AND CASE WHO WORKS FOR VA AS THE CASE MANAGER FOR US THE INDIVIDUAL.
      PLEASE VOTE THIS AND LIKE IF YOU AGREE...
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 12 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 7 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 6 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines