VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SSDI, Medicare Pt B and Tricare

Rate this question

MSgt S

Question

I'm a 58 yr old Air Force vet and I just recently got my SSDI approved which made me Medicare eligible.  Me and my wife's health insurance is through Tricare Prime.  Tricare rules say that I lose my Tricare eligibility if I decline Medicare Part B.  Does this mean I have to pay both my Tricare premium and Medicare Part B premium to keep my Tricare insurance?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I can't answer your question but I'd check with a Medicare Repersentive

As I understand it your got the medicare disability based on your service connection from the VA rendering you total disabled?   so if SSDI approved you then I'd sure ask them this question.

I have the Medicare part B...and also use the VAMC...BUT WITH THIS COVID-19 MAKES IT HARD TO USE THE VA, Their doing most clinic visits   via Tele Health Vedio conferences .

Unless its a medical emergency.

You can use the VA for emergency's......I Realizes some Veterans do not like using the VA for medical care  which I totally understand.

Yes.   I already complained several times to my congressman and to veterans organizations about this rule, nothing has changed.   I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran (wheelchair-bound), also receiving SSDI.  I use VA for all my medical needs, I pay Tricare premiums so my wife and young children are still covered, + I have to also pay for Medicare Part B which I never use (first, Medicare doesn't cover much). 

The law should make an exception for veterans who are receiving SSDI, since we already have VA Healthcare and sometime Tricare, but I am still forced to pay over $150 a month for Medicare Part B which I never use!

I'm in the same boat. You do not have to pay the Tricare premiums. You do have to pay Medicare Part B premiums, which Social Security automatically deducts from your monthly SSDI payment. If you are still paying Tricare Prime premiums after you are enrolled in Medicare Part B premiums, call Tricare and they will adjust it. They cut my family premiums in half, so my wife still has Tricare Prime while I am using the VA and Medicare. Also, Tricare acts as your medigap plan. Whatever Medicare doesn't pay, Tricare will cover the rest of the cost.

2 hours ago, Keith_K said:

I'm in the same boat. You do not have to pay the Tricare premiums. You do have to pay Medicare Part B premiums, which Social Security automatically deducts from your monthly SSDI payment. If you are still paying Tricare Prime premiums after you are enrolled in Medicare Part B premiums, call Tricare and they will adjust it. They cut my family premiums in half, so my wife still has Tricare Prime while I am using the VA and Medicare. Also, Tricare acts as your medigap plan. Whatever Medicare doesn't pay, Tricare will cover the rest of the cost.

Thanks Keith...although I've been using VA for my own issues, my wife's primary care is through Tricare so we don't want to lose our eligibility.  Just a bit confused on what you said as far as paying Tricare premium which was cut in half (though you say I don't have to pay Tricare premiums).  So are you still paying reduced Tricare premiums plus the monthly Medicare Pt B premium? Currently my Tricare Prime coverage covers myself and my wife, no kids.