VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help understanding claim denial

Rate this question

Confusedvet1

Question

Hello,

I got a denial for headaches and I'm not sure what it is saying. When I read it I think it's contradicting itself. Could someone please help me understand what it says? Also there are a lot of other times I reported headaches after service which are all in my VA medical records that they did not mention in denial so I'm thinking they didn't actually read my file?

This is from the letter.

Service connection for headache condition.
Service connection may be granted for a disability which began in military service or was caused
by some event or experience in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
While your service treatment records reflect complaints, treatment, or a diagnosis similar to that
claimed, the medical evidence supports the conclusion that a persistent disability was not present
in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
We did not find a link between your medical condition and military service. (38 CFR 3.303)
The evidence does not show that your disease developed to a compensable degree within the
specified time period after release from service to qualify for the presumption of service
connection. (38 CFR 3.307, 38 CFR 3.309)
Service connection for headache condition is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor
was caused by service. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304)
Favorable findings identified in this decision: Service treatment record dated January 26, 2005
and July 25, 2007 shows headaches. Medical record dated January 13, 2020 from Canandaigua
VA Medical Center shows headaches. You have sufficient service to meet the minimum
requirements for presumptive service connection. The claimed disability is a chronic disease
which may be presumptively linked to your military service.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Confusedvet1 Even though you have evidence of medical  for headaches, you haven't shown that it meets the minimum requirement for compensation. If you google diagnostic code 8100, it shows migraines, which is the code the VA uses for all headaches. To get a minimum 10%, you would have to show evidence of prostrating at least once over a two month period. Prostrating means you are total incapacitated, can't do anything, have to retreat to a dark room and lie down for a few hours. A 0% is if you have them but the time between is more than 2 months. You need to document these episodes if the occur. The other thing is you didn't apply fora relaxed approval because you didn't apply within 1 year, I believe, of termination. So it won't be granted direct disability. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Confusedvet1 To add to that, you could show direct s-c condition if you went to medical while in the service. You need to get your strs/med files if that happened. You might be able to prove s-c if there is that type of notations. If you have prostrating symptoms, record your daily events if the headaches occur. Check out Migraine Buddy app and see if that will work for you. 

Appeal it.  File a NOD.  I think this is a bogus appeal.  The VA often "cites a regulation" for their decision, then does not comply with that regulation!   Now, "presumptive SC" is not the only way to get SC.  You can also be SC via "Direct" (sometimes known as primary) SC, or by secondary Service connection.  You need not meet all 3 of these, any one of the 3 will suffice.  

Even if you did not meet the criteria for a presumptive, you can still obtain SC by the Caluza elements:  current diagnosis, in service event or aggravation, and nexus.  

Here it is: 

3.307 Presumptive service connection for chronic, tropical, or prisoner-of-war related disease, disease associated with exposure to certain herbicide agents, or disease associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune; wartime and service on or after January 1, 1947.

(a) General. A chronic, tropical, or prisoner of war related disease, a disease associated with exposure to certain herbicide agents, or a disease associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune listed in § 3.309 will be considered to have been incurred in or aggravated by service under the circumstances outlined in this section even though there is no evidence of such disease during the period of service. No condition other than one listed in § 3.309(a) will be considered chronic.

(1) Service. The veteran must have served 90 days or more during a war period or after December 31, 1946. The requirement of 90 days' service means active, continuous service within or extending into or beyond a war period, or which began before and extended beyond December 31, 1946, or began after that date. Any period of service is sufficient for the purpose of establishing the presumptive service connection of a specified disease under the conditions listed in § 3.309(c) and (e). Any period of service is sufficient for the purpose of establishing the presumptive service connection of a specified disease under the conditions listed in § 3.309(f), as long as the period of service also satisfies the requirements to establish a presumption of exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune under paragraph (a)(7)(iii) of this section.

(2) Separation from service. For the purpose of paragraph (a)(3) and (4) of this section the date of separation from wartime service will be the date of discharge or release during a war period, or if service continued after the war, the end of the war period. In claims based on service on or after January 1, 1947, the date of separation will be the date of discharge or release from the period of service on which the claim is based.

(3) Chronic disease. The disease must have become manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more within 1 year (for Hansen's disease (leprosy) and tuberculosis, within 3 years; multiple sclerosis, within 7 years) from the date of separation from service as specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section.

(4) Tropical disease. The disease must have become manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more within 1 year from date of separation from service as specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, or at a time when standard accepted treatises indicate that the incubation period commenced during such service. The resultant disorders or diseases originating because of therapy administered in connection with a tropical disease or as a preventative may also be service connected.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1112)

(5) Diseases specific as to former prisoners of war. The diseases listed in § 3.309(c) shall have become manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more at any time after discharge or release from active service.

(6) Diseases associated with exposure to certain herbicide agents.

(i) For the purposes of this section, the term “herbicide agent” means a chemical in an herbicide used in support of the United States and allied military operations in the Republic of Vietnam during the period beginning on January 9, 1962, and ending on May 7, 1975, specifically: 2,4-D; 2,4,5-T and its contaminant TCDD; cacodylic acid; and picloram.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1116(a)(4))

(ii) The diseases listed at § 3.309(e) shall have become manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more at any time after service, except that chloracne or other acneform disease consistent with chloracne, porphyria cutanea tarda, and early-onset peripheral neuropathy shall have become manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more within a year after the last date on which the veteran was exposed to an herbicide agent during active military, naval, or air service.

(iii) A veteran who, during active military, naval, or air service, served in the Republic of Vietnam during the period beginning on January 9, 1962, and ending on May 7, 1975, shall be presumed to have been exposed during such service to an herbicide agent, unless there is affirmative evidence to establish that the veteran was not exposed to any such agent during that service. The last date on which such a veteran shall be presumed to have been exposed to an herbicide agent shall be the last date on which he or she served in the Republic of Vietnam during the period beginning on January 9, 1962, and ending on May 7, 1975. “Service in the Republic of Vietnam” includes service in the waters offshore and service in other locations if the conditions of service involved duty or visitation in the Republic of Vietnam.

(iv) A veteran who, during active military, naval, or air service, served between April 1, 1968, and August 31, 1971, in a unit that, as determined by the Department of Defense, operated in or near the Korean DMZ in an area in which herbicides are known to have been applied during that period, shall be presumed to have been exposed during such service to an herbicide agent, unless there is affirmative evidence to establish that the veteran was not exposed to any such agent during that service. See also 38 CFR 3.814(c)(2).

(v) An individual who performed service in the Air Force or Air Force Reserve under circumstances in which the individual concerned regularly and repeatedly operated, maintained, or served onboard C-123 aircraft known to have been used to spray an herbicide agent during the Vietnam era shall be presumed to have been exposed during such service to an herbicide agent. For purposes of this paragraph, “regularly and repeatedly operated, maintained, or served onboard C-123 aircraft” means that the individual was assigned to an Air Force or Air Force Reserve squadron when the squadron was permanently assigned one of the affected aircraft and the individual had an Air Force Specialty Code indicating duties as a flight, ground maintenance, or medical crew member on such aircraft. Such exposure constitutes an injury under 38 U.S.C. 101(24)(B) and (C). If an individual described in this paragraph develops a disease listed in 38 CFR 3.309(e) as specified in paragraph (a)(6)(ii) of this section, it will be presumed that the individual concerned became disabled during that service for purposes of establishing that the individual served in the active military, naval, or air service.

(7) Diseases associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune.

(i) For the purposes of this section, contaminants in the water supply means the volatile organic compounds trichloroethylene (TCE), perchloroethylene (PCE), benzene and vinyl chloride, that were in the on-base water-supply systems located at United States Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, during the period beginning on August 1, 1953, and ending on December 31, 1987.

(ii) The diseases listed in § 3.309(f) shall have become manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more at any time after service.

(iii) A veteran, or former reservist or member of the National Guard, who had no less than 30 days (consecutive or nonconsecutive) of service at Camp Lejeune during the period beginning on August 1, 1953, and ending on December 31, 1987, shall be presumed to have been exposed during such service to the contaminants in the water supply, unless there is affirmative evidence to establish that the individual was not exposed to contaminants in the water supply during that service. The last date on which such a veteran, or former reservist or member of the National Guard, shall be presumed to have been exposed to contaminants in the water supply shall be the last date on which he or she served at Camp Lejeune during the period beginning on August 1, 1953, and ending on December 31, 1987. For purposes of this section, service at Camp Lejeune means any service within the borders of the entirety of the United States Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune and Marine Corps Air Station New River, North Carolina, during the period beginning on August 1, 1953, and ending on December 31, 1987, as established by military orders or other official service department records.

(iv) Exposure described in paragraph (a)(7)(iii) of this section is an injury under 38 U.S.C. 101(24)(B) and (C). If an individual described in paragraph (a)(7)(iii) of this section develops a disease listed in § 3.309(f), VA will presume that the individual concerned became disabled during that service for purposes of establishing that the individual served in the active military, naval, or air service.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501(a), 1116(a)(3), and 1821)

(b) Evidentiary basis. The factual basis may be established by medical evidence, competent lay evidence or both. Medical evidence should set forth the physical findings and symptomatology elicited by examination within the applicable period. Lay evidence should describe the material and relevant facts as to the veteran's disability observed within such period, not merely conclusions based upon opinion. The chronicity and continuity factors outlined in § 3.303(b) will be considered. The diseases listed in § 3.309(a) will be accepted as chronic, even though diagnosed as acute because of insidious inception and chronic development, except: (1) Where they result from intercurrent causes, for example, cerebral hemorrhage due to injury, or active nephritis or acute endocarditis due to intercurrent infection (with or without identification of the pathogenic micro-organism); or (2) where a disease is the result of drug ingestion or a complication of some other condition not related to service. Thus, leukemia will be accepted as a chronic disease whether diagnosed as acute or chronic. Unless the clinical picture is clear otherwise, consideration will be given as to whether an acute condition is an exacerbation of a chronic disease.

(c) Prohibition of certain presumptions. No presumptions may be invoked on the basis of advancement of the disease when first definitely diagnosed for the purpose of showing its existence to a degree of 10 percent within the applicable period. This will not be interpreted as requiring that the disease be diagnosed in the presumptive period, but only that there be then shown by acceptable medical or lay evidence characteristic manifestations of the disease to the required degree, followed without unreasonable time lapse by definite diagnosis. Symptomatology shown in the prescribed period may have no particular significance when first observed, but in the light of subsequent developments it may gain considerable significance. Cases in which a chronic condition is shown to exist within a short time following the applicable presumptive period, but without evidence of manifestations within the period, should be developed to determine whether there was symptomatology which in retrospect may be identified and evaluated as manifestation of the chronic disease to the required 10-percent degree.

(d) Rebuttal of service incurrence or aggravation.

(1) Evidence which may be considered in rebuttal of service incurrence of a disease listed in § 3.309 will be any evidence of a nature usually accepted as competent to indicate the time of existence or inception of disease, and medical judgment will be exercised in making determinations relative to the effect of intercurrent injury or disease. The expression “affirmative evidence to the contrary” will not be taken to require a conclusive showing, but such showing as would, in sound medical reasoning and in the consideration of all evidence of record, support a conclusion that the disease was not incurred in service. As to tropical diseases the fact that the veteran had no service in a locality having a high incidence of the disease may be considered as evidence to rebut the presumption, as may residence during the period in question in a region where the particular disease is endemic. The known incubation periods of tropical diseases should be used as a factor in rebuttal of presumptive service connection as showing inception before or after service.

(2) The presumption of aggravation provided in this section may be rebutted by affirmative evidence that the preexisting condition was not aggravated by service, which may include affirmative evidence that any increase in disability was due to an intercurrent disease or injury suffered after separation from service or evidence sufficient, under § 3.306 of this part, to show that the increase in disability was due to the natural progress of the preexisting condition.

Thank you both. I know I put it on my exit medical form about headaches. I don't know if it's documented in there but after a run I had a bad migraine with radiating pain to left arm that didn't go away until next day. I told person checking me in at base hospital for a stress test that was ordered for unrelated issue and got yelled at more not saying anything when it happened. I just don't know why they didn't give me 0% rating? I've had issues with them getting really bad but I fight through it. Heck the day I got out of hospital for possible sepsis I went to work after taking shower. That's after 3 days of not eating or being allowed to walk and my job consists of me standing all day and walking.

That may be my problem as well as I push myself to hard.

I'll definitely file NOD and see what happens.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:49 AM, Confusedvet1 said:

Hello,

I got a denial for headaches and I'm not sure what it is saying. When I read it I think it's contradicting itself. Could someone please help me understand what it says? Also there are a lot of other times I reported headaches after service which are all in my VA medical records that they did not mention in denial so I'm thinking they didn't actually read my file?

This is from the letter.

Service connection for headache condition.
Service connection may be granted for a disability which began in military service or was caused
by some event or experience in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
While your service treatment records reflect complaints, treatment, or a diagnosis similar to that
claimed, the medical evidence supports the conclusion that a persistent disability was not present
in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
We did not find a link between your medical condition and military service. (38 CFR 3.303)
The evidence does not show that your disease developed to a compensable degree within the
specified time period after release from service to qualify for the presumption of service
connection. (38 CFR 3.307, 38 CFR 3.309)
Service connection for headache condition is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor
was caused by service. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304)
Favorable findings identified in this decision: Service treatment record dated January 26, 2005
and July 25, 2007 shows headaches. Medical record dated January 13, 2020 from Canandaigua
VA Medical Center shows headaches. You have sufficient service to meet the minimum
requirements for presumptive service connection. The claimed disability is a chronic disease
which may be presumptively linked to your military service.

Without seeing the evidence you submitted its hard to definitively say.

From what im seeing it looks like they recognize you had headaches in service and after but in service they are seeing them as isolated events and not symptoms of a disability (individual not persistent) and thus they are not related to the headaches after.  

You will need to file a NOD and appeal, however what you need to do is likely see a neurologist who can opine, definitively on your condition then and now.  I would talk to them at the beginning of the appointment when they ask what is goign on and say that you are trying to get service connected through the VA for the migraines, but the headaches you had while you were in are not being considered linked to the headaches you have now, ask him if he would, in his exam notes talk about how the headaches then are more than likely not related to the headaches you ahve now and indiciative of a persistent condition, etc.  

If he wont youll need to weigh whether its monetarily worthwhile to get a IMO.  By this i mean look at Diagnostic Code 8100 and see what your symptoms most closely relate to. once you get that (0,10,30,50%) look at what that amount would bump you up to + retro. if its more the IMO i would say go for it, but if your at 70% and its a 10% compensable maybe not since you wouldnt get anything for it. If your worried its going to get worse and want the SC then you will have to make that decision.

It looks like they gave you a gimme with the presumptive. Now the VA is supposed to abide by a duty to assist, meaning its not your job to be the doctor and figure out what exactly is going wrong with you and file to the "t" what the name of the disability your claiming (i.e. Obstructive Sleep Apnea, vs "sleep issues"). I would have assumed if what you are claiming is presumptive and you meet the criteria they should have given it to you. Since they didnt even if you dont want to get an IMO i would appeal based on the fact you meet the criteria for a presumptive condition and you have the issue meets the criteria for said presumptive conditions. look up what presumptive conditions you qualify for and appeal it based on that.

The reasons for decision are critical.  FOCUS on Caluza elements.  The Board should grant SC every time provided that you meet the Caluza elements, that is, they are documented.  

Based on your post, you have a diagnosis and "in service event or aggravation.  Do you have a nexus?

Now, its simply "not true" that your disability has to rise to the zero percent compensation level "in service" to get SC.  Example:

I am SC for hearing loss.  Did my hearing loss level meet or exceed the minimum level DURING SERVICE?   No.  My hearing loss got worse over time, but I did have evidence of the Caluza elements: 1.  Current diagnosis (hearing loss). 

2.  In service event (noise exposure due to aircraft noise). 

3.  Nexus, or audioligist that opined my hearing loss was at least as likely as not due to noise exposure in service.  

I did NOT, repeat not, have to prove my hearing loss met the minimum criteria level WHILE in service.  Why?  Because its not one of the criteria!

In a similar way, YOU dont have to prove your headaches were a minimum of zero percent level WHILE IN SERVICE.  You just have to show an "in service" event or aggravation.  There is a difference.  

Its not unusual for VA to make up bogus stuff to deny you.  You'rs sounds like one.  

Let me explain:

Presumptive is ONE SC method, but its not the ONLY one.  IF VA considers you for "presumptive" but does not consider you for "direct" or "secondary" (if applicable), well that is error.  Dont worry about cue at this point, just appeal it.