VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help understanding claim denial

Rate this question

Confusedvet1

Question

Hello,

I got a denial for headaches and I'm not sure what it is saying. When I read it I think it's contradicting itself. Could someone please help me understand what it says? Also there are a lot of other times I reported headaches after service which are all in my VA medical records that they did not mention in denial so I'm thinking they didn't actually read my file?

This is from the letter.

Service connection for headache condition.
Service connection may be granted for a disability which began in military service or was caused
by some event or experience in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
While your service treatment records reflect complaints, treatment, or a diagnosis similar to that
claimed, the medical evidence supports the conclusion that a persistent disability was not present
in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
We did not find a link between your medical condition and military service. (38 CFR 3.303)
The evidence does not show that your disease developed to a compensable degree within the
specified time period after release from service to qualify for the presumption of service
connection. (38 CFR 3.307, 38 CFR 3.309)
Service connection for headache condition is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor
was caused by service. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304)
Favorable findings identified in this decision: Service treatment record dated January 26, 2005
and July 25, 2007 shows headaches. Medical record dated January 13, 2020 from Canandaigua
VA Medical Center shows headaches. You have sufficient service to meet the minimum
requirements for presumptive service connection. The claimed disability is a chronic disease
which may be presumptively linked to your military service.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks guys. I saw a neurologist a few months back because I had a couple instances of seeing horizontal lines across vision. I think he said he thought it was an optical migraine of that's a thing. 

In service like I think I said before I noted on exit form that I was getting I think 2 headaches a day for few months. 

My RO confuses me a lot. I know I should probably start new topic but here is another issue I ran into.

I filed for service connection for a forearm/wrist/hand/thumb a long time ago. I had swelling in forearm 3 years into service. They did surgery and cut into my hand and wrist as well. Turned out to be dense fibrosis and now I have a hernia there and pain and weakness in hand when I use it a lot. They denied me saying since I broke my arm in 6 grade it was a natural progression. I had VA orthopedic surgeon say he didn't think the broken arm and condition in service were related because of a 10 year difference in injury and symptoms. VA said the PA who did CP exam was more credible. BVA agreed with me and granted service connection. My RO rated me at 10% because during CP exam I said bending my elbow would sometimes cause pain too. So I'm rated at 10% for my elbow when surgery was on forearm into hand. Completely ignoring all my hand and wrist issues. To top it off before granting me SC they had given me 0% for the surgical scar. I appealed that and BVA said they needed to do another exam because I wasn't given a proper one so that issue was remanded. 

So when my RO gave me 10% for elbow they gave me 0% again for the same scar I had at 0% which was remanded for improper exam which I still haven't had yet. So I have 0% twice for same thing. 

It's definitely frustrating to say the least.