VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Denying Residential Substance Abuse Treatment During Pandemic

Rate this question

lhecker51

Question

I am a veteran and so is my son. He is an honorably discharged veteran, but had a severe addiction to narcotics when he got out. During the pandemic, the VA shut down the residential treatment (DETOX) program and they REFUSE to refer veterans for treatment at facilities that are open, which are all facilities in the US EXCEPT the VA.  He is stuck and I am watching him die slowly before my eyes. I have contacted our senator and congressmen, but they cannot get back to us for 7 days. I keep Narcan with me as there is a very real risk of him overdosing. His therapist says the best they can do is outpatient care, but he is FAR beyond that. I am at a loss of what to do next as I was under the false impression that if the VA cannot treat him, they must refer him out to a facility that can. Am I wrong? This is a service connected disability and he has an 80 percent rating. I would imagine there are MANY veterans being turned away from critical detox treatment during the pandemic. It is my opinion that it is very true that veterans die waiting for treatment and not much has change other than reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic of veterans care.

Edited by lhecker51

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

lhecker51 I assume you have used the crisis hotline 800-273-8255. I'd be on that constantly. The only other thing I would try that jumps out is the whitehouse hotline 855-948-2311; they may just refer back to the crisis hotline, I don't know. Don't give up! Keep at it.

• Lead Moderator

I hate to go this route, but the VA hates bad press.  If it is to that point, I would seriously consider getting them involved if there is no other route.  I would also keep calling your senator and let them know you are going to go to the press, and the reasons you have to as you can get no help from them.

Also if it is an emergency, I believe you can take your son to the closest hospital.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  Remember if you think it is an emergency then it is!  Then maybe you can get another doctor to refer them to a program or something.  Like GBarmy said keep fighting!

• HadIt.com Elder

First of all stay with your son if you think he maybe in danger or danger to himself, here is what I'd do AND I am not so sure it would work.

Take your son to the private emergency room the closest one to you, tell the Dr what is going on, the Dr needs to examine your son and if the Dr thinks he needs to be in a detox facility because he is a danger to himself  then ask the Dr to call the VA and let the VA know your son is being referred to a detox facility.from this private emergency Doc...as long as the VA Knows this is a medical emergency...they will give their permission for your son to go to the private detox facility  or send an ambulance to come to that emergency room and transport him to the nearest VAMC

AS LONG AS YOU GET A REFERRAL FROM A DR  PRIVATE OR FROM THE VA. THEN YOU CAN TAKE HIM TO THE DETOX FACILITY THE DR REFERRED HIM TO.  AND THE VA KNOWS ABOUT IT  THEN THEY WILL PAY THE BILL.

IF YOUR SON USES THE VAMC FOR HIS MEDICAL CARE  CALL HIS VA PCP or send a secure message to his VA PCP and ask the PCP Doc to refer him to a private detox center  because the VA is not seeing veterans with this covid-19 going on.  AND THAT THIS IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.

I wish your son the best.

If this is a life or death emergency, and it sounds like it is, get your treatment privately and worry about who pays for it (insurance, VA, etc., etc.) later.  

However, you can try calling the presidents hotline, some have had good results with that.  

There are several "progams" available, and it sounds like your son is slipping through the cracks.  

Source:  My son was into drugs and alcohol.  It hurt me so bad (maybe worse than him), that I went crazy.   I knew something was wrong with my son, but not sure WHAT it was, as he kept it hidden.  

So, I went off the deep end, called my son, and told him so.  I insisted on meeting him before I checked myself into the mental hospital.  I was suicidal. 

I was honest and told my son WHY I was checking into the mental hospital.  He replied, 

Gee, Dad, Im glad you told me that.  You see these cut marks on my arm?  Last nite I tried to kill myself.  When I woke up, I wondered why I was not dead and was driving around looking for a bridge to drive off of when you called.  

All of the sudden it was clear:  I was nuts because my son was hurting and I must get him help NOW. 

So, I drove him to the mental hospital AND called my other son.  I told him to "hook my son up with people from your church, NOW".  I told my other son it was life or death and to drop what he was doing and arrange that.  He did. 

Two weeks later, my son was saved, gave up alcohol, drugs and cigarettes (all 3).  Today, he is married to a doctor and they just had a little girl the day after Fathers day.  Oh, and he is building a home on 140 acres.  

Its not too late.  GET HELP NOW.  

Folks this is a sad situation and unfortunately far to often a happening in every day life.

First, does he have any private health insurance? If he doesn't, that prolongs the problem and exasperates the problem.

Tell him to go to the nearest emergency room and let them know he suffers from addiction/mental health issues.

They will admit him to a bed and stabilize him. 

Next an assessment will be done to determine if inpatient or outpatient treatment is most appropriate.

He needs to be truthful and indicate he wants treatment. If he says he doesn't need inpatient or misrepresents his level of drug use, they will do the referral to a outpatient program.

He definitely needs inpatient drug treatment.

Once the assessment is complete, the referral will be sent to a treatment facility. If they have an open bed, he will be admitted immediately. If not, he will be placed on a waiting list.

I feel your grief. Several of my family members have fallen into drug addiction and the feeling of hopelessness is terrible while searching for answers and worrying about the person.

GOOD LUCK AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU.