VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can TDIU filing taken back by vet?

Rate this question

slangpdx

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

yes!

if its sent in in time  and the fastest way to do that is use e-benefits  or call your R.O.

WITH THE COVID-19 its unpredictable.

Edited by Buck52

Any claim can be withdrawn.  However, most people are unhappy with the result and its not recommended unless you have a compelling reason.  I withdrew a claim thinking it would move the others faster and regret it.  

A veteran can withdraw his/her claim at any time. 

With that said not knowing the particulars it is concerning why a veteran would want to withdraw her/his claim.  I had a veteran contact me about filing new claims for TDIU and SSDI, I was lost and asked why new claims.  The veteran was granted TDIU and SSDI and then went back to full time work and their TDIU was reduced to 70% and she lost her SSDI because she worked over the twelve (12) months limits. It was only thirteen (13) months and she had a bad PTSD episode and was release from her job.  What most veterans fail to fully understand is the fact that they truly possibly can get a job, but the real factor/concerns are can they keep and maintain that job and for how long. I informed the veteran that she had to start all over again with new doctors statements and employment incidents and go from there and to realize that she was permanently disabled and if she would ever get her benefits back to never try to work again because with any mental health disorder, a person could never fully know what could cause a trigger to an episode.  The veteran unfortunately never contacted me again. I know some may disagree but why take the risk of losing the benefits that you the veteran fight so hard for. It is easier to begin a hobby, volunteer, try something new or anything other than going back to full time work.

Yes I am struggling with all those types of decisions, I got SSDI two years ago on first try with no appeal, on pretty much the same grounds as my SC determination was.  I have not worked in 4 years. 

OK, I will be short and to the point, you are permanently disabled and should not even consider going back to full/part time work. This is not my opinion this comes from the Department of Social Security. You must expect/accept that you will not earn enough work credit to increase your SSA benefits. I know that there are programs out there that try to encourage individuals to try to go back to work but it is not worth it. SSA benefits provide benefits to the individual and their dependents. Once a veteran is awarded TDIU and then P & T, the veteran is provided benefits for the veteran and their dependents. The DEA Chapter 35 (Full College Tuition) is one of the best programs going. Yes, the income is not great but being awarded both, a veteran is better off.

So, the veteran is getting paid by both SSA and VA and all their medical issues can be address. The veteran’s dependents medical issues can also be address and the dependents get their own benefits from SSA which can be use and or invested. Try to look at the greater picture or the longer road not what benefits you but what would be best for you and your family.

Believe me or not but have talked to veterans on this subject a lot. It seems that it is more that veterans are granted TDIU P & T and are not aware that they can get SSDI and think that they are too young to get it but want to keep a window open if the right job comes along.  I have tried to explain to them that once an individual is awarded/granted SSDI and or TDIU P & T forget about going back to work. It all boils down to how long can you really keep that job. My point is that it is time to come up with a new plan.

You know the old saying be careful for what you ask for. Also keep in mind that you have not worked in several year and no employer may not want to hire you. Also keep in mind that you do not want to be a liability waiting to happen. it could be the fact that you could put yourself, your employer and your fellow co-worker in an unfortunate situation.