• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

I applied for and received social security disability a couple years ago.  I received a letter in the mail from social security in Sept of 2019 saying that they were going to start charging me $135 a month and another $135 a month for a total of $270 for part B medicare.  I was already paying $350/month for health insurance through the Fed Govt for retirement and didn't understand why I needed to pay $270/month for part B if I was covered through my retirement health ins.  I called Social Security and talked to them about it.  They told me I could elect to not select part B and that I would be given another opportunity at age 65 to select it free of penalty (I am currently 59).  I had an accident and a trip to the ER recently and found out that my health insurance won't pay anything as I was offered medicare and did not take it when offered.  Now keep in mind Social Security never told me of this potential, I thought that over the last year I had insurance but since I go to the VA for most health care I never had a claim and wasn't denied until recently.  I have no idea what can be done at this point.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I think since I'm 100% P&T the VA will pay the cost of the ambulance and hospital bill but I'm more worried about the rest of my healthcare.  I recently read that if you don't take part B when offered you will be assessed an additional 10% per year when you elect it and that you can't even do that until Jan - March of the year so I think the bad advice I received will cost me a 20% penalty on part B for the rest of my life...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It sounds like you are confused.  Maybe I can help.  Maybe. 1.  You can get medicare Part B, if you so elect, when you are 65 without penalty.   2.  There are rules for VA to pay your medica

It sounds like you are confused.  Maybe I can help.  Maybe.

1.  You can get medicare Part B, if you so elect, when you are 65 without penalty.  

2.  There are rules for VA to pay your medical bills.  If you want them to pay your medical bills, you have to follow the rules.  If you are "opting out" of medicare Part B, to save money, then you should familiarize yourself with these rules: https://www.va.gov/communitycare/programs/veterans/index.asp  For example, if you want VA to pay for community care, you have to notify them promptly, like within a short period of time.  Read this link to find out how long.  

3.  No, you wont be covered by social security (medicare) if you opt out and elect not to accept the coverage and pay the premiums.  

4.  Now, since you posted you said you had "health insurance through the Fed Govt for retirement", it is true that sometimes you have to have Part B to be eligible for their insurance.  

My advice is for you to "sit down" with a medicare insurance counselor, and "make sure" you understand it fully, so that you dont repeat this mistake.  I dont know if it's "fixable" or not..again, you would have to sit down with a medicare advisor, give them your exact information and policies, and figure it out. 

Many years ago, I was in Insurance sales and understand that most people dont understand their insurance.  They buy because they trust the agent.  And, yes, I trust my agent.  I have his number on my refrigerator, and probably call him once a year, OR, he calls me to check on me.  Im sure he gets paid when I renew each year, but only if I dont call on the phone and enroll with someone else.  He gets that, and provides excellent service.  

I have a very local medicare advisor.  I have Humana medicare advantage.  Like you, I did not start that way.  I was disabled 100 percent before my age 65, and I reasoned I did not need medicare "and" VA also.  I changed my mind on that, because I know VA does not have EVERYTHING.  For example, VA does not have/offer chiropractic care in my area.  (They do in some areas).  Also, I reasoned if I had cancer or a bad severe illness, then I wanted the option to go to, say, Cleveland Clinic and VA may or may not pay for that.  (probably not).  In other words, with Medicare part b, I have lots more options and dont "have" to go to VA all the time.  That is why I opted for Medicare Part B, and actually have Medicare Advantage.  

Edited by broncovet
  • Like 1

I'm contacting the VA, Social Security, and Aetna on Monday. just so angry that when I called Social Security a little over a year ago they gave me advice that could cost me a significant amount of money over the rest of my life and that I'm paying for medical ins through my federal pension that gives me squat.  I'm hoping that since I'm not 65 that my medical insurance won't penalize me for not taking Part B when offered at age 58.

I get that, the problem is what I should do between now (age 59) and age 65. When it looks like my Federal Medical Insurance I'm paying $350/month, for my wife and myself, isn't going to cover anything because I didn't opt for Part B when eligible last September.